unlocked iphone 13 stolen

My iphone 13 has been snatched out of my hand today. Unfortunately it was not locked as I was checking my messages while it was stolen. I am trying to erase it through Find my phone, but it is still pending as I guess the phone is online.

My worry is, as phone was not locked, can thief basically go into settings and change my face id to his face id? Or does this require to type password firstly?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 9:30 AM

If the phone is unlocked, unfortunately the thief can basically do anything they want.

Hopefully, the phone will "time out" and require that the passcode or face id be entered again, which the thief will not be able to do.

If the erase is still pending through Find My, that is unfortunately not a good sign. Keep checking Find My every few hours to see if the status of the phone has changed in this regard.

Be extremely careful if you see a message from "Apple", "Apple Service" or the "Police" indicating that your phone has been found and you just need to provide more information so the phone can be returned to you. These types of messages are scams that are trying to trick you into revealing your Apple ID and Password so the thief will have complete access to the phone.

Good luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2023 9:30 AM in response to MilenaaW1988

If the phone is unlocked, unfortunately the thief can basically do anything they want.

Hopefully, the phone will "time out" and require that the passcode or face id be entered again, which the thief will not be able to do.

If the erase is still pending through Find My, that is unfortunately not a good sign. Keep checking Find My every few hours to see if the status of the phone has changed in this regard.

Be extremely careful if you see a message from "Apple", "Apple Service" or the "Police" indicating that your phone has been found and you just need to provide more information so the phone can be returned to you. These types of messages are scams that are trying to trick you into revealing your Apple ID and Password so the thief will have complete access to the phone.

Good luck.

unlocked iphone 13 stolen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.