Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voicemails delayed on iPhone

iPhone 14 pro voicemail notifications are delayed by hours or days. Latest iOS and carrier update. We are open to iOS fix suggestions if not on the carrier level.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 3:06 AM

I’ve tried all of the steps above and they didn’t work for me either. It’s definitively an iOS iPhone issue. I’ve had this issue for years. Toggled and played with settings and even upgraded my phone. This isn’t a carrier issue. This is an iOS issue for sure and I’m disappointed Apple has refused to address this or fix this for years.

81 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2023 3:06 AM in response to forum83

I’ve tried all of the steps above and they didn’t work for me either. It’s definitively an iOS iPhone issue. I’ve had this issue for years. Toggled and played with settings and even upgraded my phone. This isn’t a carrier issue. This is an iOS issue for sure and I’m disappointed Apple has refused to address this or fix this for years.

Nov 7, 2023 3:17 PM in response to lobsterghost1

This EXACT issue has been happening to me since I bought my iPhone 14. And I’m a TMobile user, so it’s certainly not a Verizon issue. I’ve never had hours of delay to receive a VM notification. And it’s not even a notification issue—- the actual VM never shows up until randomly hours or a day later. LOTS of missed messages and unnecessary Delays esp with business calls. This is a problem. YES- I have restarted my phone many times. YES- I’ve gone in to settings - phone - etc. YES- I have the latest iPhone updates. NO- this didn’t happen with my iPhone XS while still using same carrier TMobile. This isn’t a carrier issue.

Nov 9, 2023 10:53 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I have an iphone 12 pro running ios 16 on AT&T and I’ve had this problem for years. I usually just have to restart my phone for them to pop up if I’m expecting a call back from someone, otherwise they always pop up hours or days later. It’s very annoying and as of the day of this post, even restarting my phone doesn’t work. I just had a missed call and saw an icon for a new vm and when I opened it the icon went away and there was no new message showing. Very frustrating since I use my phone for work.

Jan 26, 2024 12:01 PM in response to forum83

I am also having the same exact issue. I’m using an iPhone 13 Pro Max with the current iOS 17.3. All other settings and updates are installed. I am running on AT&T. This started around iOS 17.2 for me. The call will come in and then a voicemail will show up randomly. It could show up right away as it is supposed to (while transcribing and allowing me to answer if I choose) or it may show up hours or even days later. I have tried everything up to resetting the entire phone. I’ve spent hours on the phone with AT&T to get nowhere. This has to be an issue with the iOS. The blame trying to be placed on the carriers with ALL of the carriers having the exact same issue, leads me to believe this is a problem in the iOS. I’m reading threads going back a few years about people having this problem and no fixes have come for it yet.

Oct 27, 2023 9:25 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Unfortunately, we have seen this issue across every major carrier.

It’s our belief this will never truly be resolved until Apple and the major carriers work together.

Until then both sides will blame each other and the users are the ones that suffer.

Defusion of responsibility in action.

I tend to believe this issue occurs on the carrier level and iOS. Until proven otherwise.

Nov 1, 2023 2:37 PM in response to ThereforeITouch

I'm seeing similar.

No voicemail notification, but if I go to the Phone app, and tap Voicemail, all of a sudden it is there.

Today I noticed I'd had a missed call yesterday (16 hours ago), but not the usual follow up text that Telstra (Australia) sends saying "you had a missed call but they didn't leave a message". Weird I thought, no voicemail, and no missed call text.

So I open the voicemail app, where a previous voicemail message is still open. Click the back button to go to the main voicemail screen, all of a sudden, bing bing, you've just received a voicemail. It was from 16 hours ago.

I'll add that this started happening when i got my new iPhone 15. Same carrier, new phone.

Feb 26, 2024 2:54 PM in response to forum83

Voicemail messages are delayed by 30 hours ! This causes a major problem when doctors or my 88 year old mother can’t reach me with an urgent message ! And sorry, I don’t pick up the phone for every spam call ! That’s why I have voice mail ! It’s useless to share this on the forum, we all should call apple tech to complain en-mass !!!! This can mean the difference between life and death for many of us !

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 26, 2023 2:37 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I have AT&T and my voicemails are ALWAYS delayed, sometimes by as much as several hours. I just now received a VM at 5:30 pm that was left at 1:00. Running iOS 17 on iPhone 15 pro, but I’ve had the issue as far back as iPhone 11. If it’s not a bug in the OS, I’ll eat my hat. Otherwise all carriers s**k and need to get with the program.

Aug 20, 2023 11:10 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for responding. Unfortunately none of the steps outlined above help.

iPhone users really don’t have much control over voicemail notifications. They can turn phone notifications on or off.

I am leaning towards an iOS issue that needs to be addressed by Apple.

It will be one of two things -

1. An error on the Verizon voicemail system and delayed notifications being sent to devices. 

2. An iOS error where the device is receiving the notification within a timely fashion max 60 seconds and it is delaying the notification to the user locally. 

Any help is appreciated.

Aug 20, 2023 1:37 AM in response to forum83

Please contact your Carrier as VoiceMail is a carrier-specific feature --> Check your voicemail on iPhone - Apple Support

You may try some of these steps, please check after each step...

The delayed Voice Mail message typically indicates an issue with the settings on your iPhone. There are several potential reasons for this error, and here are some troubleshooting steps you can follow to resolve the problem:

1. Ensure that your iPhone has a stable internet or cellular connection. Voicemail services may require a data connection to function correctly.
  2. Check if there are any carrier settings updates available for your iPhone. Carrier updates can sometimes resolve voicemail-related issues.
  3. Contact your carrier's customer support to ensure there are no known issues with their voicemail services in your area.
  4. If you have call forwarding enabled, try disabling it to see if it resolves the voicemail problem. Go to Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding and turn it off if it's enabled.
  5. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  6. If the issue persists, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone. This will not erase your data but will reset all personalized settings to their default values. Go to Settings > General > Transfer & Reset > Reset > Reset All Settings and confirm the action. Note that you will need to reconfigure your settings afterward. All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted.
    1. Reset All Settings: Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support:- Return iPhone settings to their defaults
    2. You can return settings to their defaults without erasing your content.
    3. If you want to save your settings, back up your iPhone before returning them to their defaults. For example, if you’re trying to solve a problem but returning settings to their defaults doesn’t help, you might want to restore your previous settings from a backup.
  7. Make sure you have the latest updates installed.
    1. Update Over-the-Air (OTA) —> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
    2. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it is recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your device model and iOS version.

Aug 20, 2023 3:49 PM in response to forum83

If this was an issue caused by iOS, this forum would be FLOODED with people complaining about delayed voicemail messages. It's not being flooded at all and tbh, you're the first I've seen come here suggesting iOS caused voicemail issues. Verizon is the KING at playing the blame game. We see it here all the time. A user has a phone issue and Verizon tells the user it's an iPhone or iOS issue. Why? Because they are too lazy to do their job. To do their job would require going into your account to see if something wasn't provisioned properly. That takes time and effort. And honestly as long as you pay your bill on time, they simply don't seem to want to do any work to help you when you have an issue with their services.

Elevate this higher with Verizon. Don't accept the blame game, something they have learned to do so well.

Aug 20, 2023 2:53 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I agree Voicemail is a carrier feature and this could be caused by Verizon not delivering the voicemail on time.

iOS is transcribing the message into text and displaying it as visual voicemail. There could be an issue in this process and how iOS is getting this information from Verizon causing the delay.

Many times the voicemail icon will disappear from the phone app. Leading me to believe it’s an iOS issue. I am open to any suggestions. Verizon thinks this is happening on the phone level.

Nov 15, 2023 3:05 PM in response to Its_me0

We have been testing iOS 17.1

Apple introduced live transcribing of voicemails and this has helped delivery of the voicemail notifications.

it is not 100% and we are still testing, but I would suggest trying iOS 17.

We also raised a ticket directly with the executive team at Verizon… they may have actually fixed something. We will never really know.. large companies rarely admit to an issue. (remember Apple throttling based on battery health)

We will keep this thread updated with our testing and results. Please keep replying if you have this issue.. it’s our belief this issue is VERY common.. but most people don’t say anything.

Voicemails delayed on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.