Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Unable to connect iphone 14 to carplay in my new toyota highlander. Husbands iphone does

We have two identical iphone 14 Pro max phones and have a new 2023 highlander. One phone connects wirelessly to carplay with no problems but the other iphone will only connect to the car's phone and media (via bluetooth) but not to carplay. Have tried all the internet suggestions without success.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2023 3:19 PM

We have no clue what all the internet suggestions might include. Have you done all that Apple suggests in this link --> If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

2 replies

Aug 22, 2023 12:23 PM in response to bea703

Finally got it figured out. 

It helps to know that Bluetooth is required to hookup and establish connection to carplay but in reality carplay uses wifi. 

Apple websites  say to tap the carplay network and make sure auto-join is turned on. Dumb old me kept looking for a wifi network with the name carplay in it.  Once I figured out that it is in reality another named network (probably different for every phone and/or car brand) and selected the correct wifi network, it all worked great.

Unable to connect iphone 14 to carplay in my new toyota highlander. Husbands iphone does

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.