Moving iTunes music/podcasts from High Sierra to Ventura

My 2012 27" iMac graphics failed and I decided to get another iMac: a refurbished 2020 model with a similar but higher resolution screen. I'll spare you the details but briefly, because my original startup HD was 2TB and my new Intel iMac has a 256GB SSD, I found that it was impossible to get Music to import play counts and Last Played dates etc, although I could point it to my iTunes library on an external drive and restore playlists which were mostly empty.

The solution was to make a new external startup 2TB SSD drive using Carbon Copy Cloner (APFS format/make bootable) and then use Migration Assistant to restore my data. This worked very well. In fact it looks like the Assistant set-up a new music library file for me which is an identical size to the one I got when I (first enabled ½ star ratings then) used the option key when starting Music and imported the iTunes library file from the backup. I was so happy to see all my metadata and populated playlists. The album art was fine too - mostly embedded. I had not renamed the iTunes directory to Music! I'm syncing and scrobbling happily.

My question is… only music and music videos were imported. I have many GB of old podcasts: is the best option to try and import them to Books? Is there another app - can't see any with import. I can't run Overcast since I am on an Intel Mac. Or import them into iTunes with a genre=podcast and set them to remember playback position?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 7:56 AM

See Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community for thoughts on reorganizing your old iTunes content for the new apps. Sadly the new Podcasts app doesn't appear to be able to import locally stored files. You may want to import them into Music and create appropriate playlists.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 23, 2023 2:39 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks tt2. I read a lot of your answers while I was researching the migration and would like to thank you and Matti Haveri etc for giving me some background lacking in the official guides.

Some further notes: the TV app has all the films and programmes from iTunes with correct metadata, following the Migration to the new startup disk.

I would have confidence in the Migration Assistant, so long as the startup disk is big enough.

Music still has the iTunes "determining gapless playback" bug. At least it takes seconds to check the same 11,000 files rather than minutes now I am using an SSD on USB-C.

The Podcasts app has an option to download the last 5 episodes of all podcasts, but only downloads some new unplayed episodes. I will import my archives back to Music as you suggest.

Moving iTunes music/podcasts from High Sierra to Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.