MacBook Pro Display too yellow compared to Studio Display

Hi!

I just received my brand new M2 MacBook Pro 16-Inch and my Studio Display.

Why is the display of the MacBook Pro yellow compared to the Studio Display?

The displays are using their default settings:

MacBook Pro: Apple XDR Display (P3-1600 nits)

Studio Display: Apple Display (P3-600 nits)

I turned True Tone off.

It is really important to me that both look the same please.

Thank you!

Christian.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 12:22 PM

63 replies

Sep 2, 2023 6:39 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you so much again again for all of your info!

When I click on Fine-Tune Calibration, I get this:

and when I click on Calibrate Display, I get this:

So still no Display Calibration Assistant – Expert Mode to be found.

Presently, I teach Adobe Illustrator and I do calligraphy.

I use Photoshop to work on my calligraphy photos for my online portfolio: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjY6c5mq

Since I don't print anymore, I tried the Photography (P3-D65) preset on both displays.

With this preset, my photos are red/blue on my Apple Studio Display and yellow on my MacBook Pro (especially the white paper in the photos).

I tried the Design & Print (P3-D50) preset on both displays, and everything is VERY yellow (the MacBook Pro being even more yellow).

When I use the default Apple Display (P3-600 nits) preset on my Studio Display and the default Apple Display (P3-600 nits) on my MacBook Pro, my photos are magenta/blue on my Studio Display, and magenta/yellow on my MacBook Pro. Also, the default presets are very hard on my eyes.

I obviously uncheck the True Tone option, but pretty much everybody I know, including ALL the computers at my college use it. I have to say that I'm VERY tempted to use this option because it makes it much better on my eyes.

My iPhone is yellow. My girlfriend's iPhone is red. My iPad is blue. My girlfriend's iPad is pretty much neutral.

Knowing all of this, it's very difficult for me to know where to position myself and what references are good and what workflow is to be trusted.

At the moment, all I want is for my calligraphy photos to display correctly on the Web (Flickr, Instagram, etc.).

Does the X-Rite device offer a user setting for my needs?

I will definitely check the video you shared.

Again, thank you so much.

Sep 12, 2023 8:36 AM in response to Krissserz

Really wish I could help you more. Presets mean nothing to me. Per one of my earlier statements, and duplicated by X-Rite's help desk, two entirely different panel designs will not look the same even when using the same supposed presets. Different hardware and RGB colorants, different results.

Without one of these displays with Apple's new color system on hand, I can't test how to calibrate and profile them correctly. If I had one, I know I could figure out how to do it and pass the steps on.

On top of that, Apple may be intentionally hiding the old expert mode for this new system because it can't really work. Per previously mentioned, these new panels save the calibration data in the monitor's firmware so it can be full 16 bit, or 32 bit 3-D for smooth gradients. Meaning, there is no LUT stored to the video hardware.

Why does that matter? EIZO monitors do the same thing. So when I calibrate this monitor with their ColorNavigator software, no LUT data is saved with the final profile. No LUT, no calibration curve that loads to video hardware. All three channels are flat.

This matters because Expert Mode expects the monitor to be at 6500K, 2.2 gamma and a fixed, predetermined brightness after it clears the LUT ahead of doing a new calibration, even though it can't know if that's what an external third party monitor actually looks like.

Since the calibration is in the monitor and there's no LUT data to clear, the monitor's appearance doesn't change at all when I go into Expert Mode. Which really throws off what you think you're doing in Expert Mode. When I get to the temperature slider, it assumes I'm looking at 6500K as the starting point.

Which I'm not since the monitor is holding it at D50 (5000K) and a 1.8 gamma.

This makes the entire, original built-in calibration function useless. And given the new presets system on both of your new panels do essentially the same thing as the EIZO monitors, this older function is just as useless for Apple's new display controls for the same reason.

And after all that, I'm still only speculating for Apple's new system. Does regular or expert mode actually work as expected? If so, how would it do that? Logically, it would first have to tell the monitor to load a 6500K preset calibration from its firmware so your manual adjustments at least make some type of sense.

Sep 1, 2023 1:35 PM in response to Krissserz

Okay, that made me look. As I suspected, Apple made this as unintuitive as possible. And much more difficult than necessary.

You can't get anywhere because Fine-Tune Calibration is grayed out. In order to activate it, you need to choose a different reference mode. These are the modes you can select from:

• Apple Display (P3-600 nits)
  • HDTV Video (BT.709-BT.1886)
  • NTSC Video (BT.601 SMPTE-C)
  • PAL and SECAM Video (BT.601 EBU)
  • Digital Cinema (P3-DCI)
  • Digital Cinema (P3-D65)
  • Design and Print (P3-D50)
  • Photography (P3-D65)
  • Internet and Web (sRGB)

Since you're doing professional color work, the only logical choice is Design and Print (P3-D50). But that is going to be a preset that you're eyeballing color on. Not measuring with an instrument. And as noted earlier, useless as the monitor ages since it WILL drift away from neutral.

Apple provides their own profiling software for the Studio Display, which I presume behaves similarly to the software that comes with the X-Rite and DataColor products. But you then still need to go out and purchase a spectro device to measure the screen. Apple's software supports these models:

• Photo Research SpectraScan PR-740, PR-745 or PR-788
  • Colorimetry Research CR-300

And to say these are overkill isn't even a close description. Check out the eye watering price on the CR-300. I haven't found a price on the SpectraScan units, but you probably don't want to know what they are.

If the Studio Display were my monitor, I'd set it to the P3-D50 reference, then calibrate and profile it from there with the X-Rite device.

Or, quite honestly, return it and get an EIZO monitor. And while I can use my i1 Pro 3 spectro along with i1 Profiler to calibrate and profile my CG279x, the EIZO ColorEdge monitors come with a built-in colorimeter and their own profiling software. It's all there, ready to use without purchasing anything separate from the monitor.

Aug 31, 2023 1:05 PM in response to ku4hx

I understand. Thank you. I truly appreciate EVERYTHING you guys are telling me.

It's just that I've been wasting literally two weeks (night and day) on this matter, and I can't take it anymore. I'm a graphic designer and graphic design teacher, working with Macs for 26 years, and I've never seen nothing like this.

Every single time I try something, it fails: Expert Mode has vanished from the Display Calibrator Assistant (making it impossible to change anything but the temperature), the profiles created with the Display Calibrator Assistant don't stick after sleep or reboot ( ICC profiles not sticking - Apple Community ), I get the "Failed to add preset" every time I try to customize a preset on my Apple Studio Display ( Failed to add the preset? - Apple Community ), and the list just goes on!

I've had numerous computers and monitors, and I've NEVER experienced ANYTHING like this. For this price (7000$ CAD), I consider all of this to be unbelievable. And on top of that, it looks like I have to spend MORE money on ANOTHER gadget.

And guess what? I'm pretty sure this will ALSO fail! (The profiles generated with the calibrators won't work or will stop working after reboot, etc.)

I'm literally going insane, and I just want to see the light at the end of this infuriating purchase that was supposed to be a good and positive thing to begin with.

Aug 23, 2023 7:01 AM in response to Krissserz

Hey guys, me again.

No matter what I do, the colours don't match at all between my Apple Studio Display and my MacBook Pro.

I tried the Reference Modes. Not only are they too dark, they don't look AT ALL the same on the Studio Display and the MacBook Pro.

I also tried the "Fine-Tune Calibration" mode; I was expecting being able to calibrate my monitors like before with the little sliders and everything (Display Calibrator Assistant), but all I'm getting are input boxes...

Again, no matter what I do, both displays look very different. I'm not expecting them to be 100% identical, but I'm expecting my brand new 7000$ set-up to be a little more plug and play than that.

I've been spending countless hours trying to figure things out with no success. As I said, I see the differences mainly when I'm on Safari, TextEdit, or when I'm on the Finder with windows open; the big white windows show the warmth and brightness differences the most. However, when I open my photos in Photoshop, they seem almost identical on both screens. 🤷‍♂️

I'm at a loss. I can't spend more money buying a monitor calibrator. I just want both displays to be closer in appearance than THAT:

Can it be that the Studio Display or the MacBook Pro is faulty?

Thanks again!

Aug 23, 2023 8:17 AM in response to Krissserz

Yes. That's part of the entire point of using them.

The X-Rite systems are typically more advanced. Such as, you can profile one monitor, then save a reference file. Bring that file to all of the other displays in your business and have the software match each monitor (as closely as possible), to the reference data.

Or, just calibrate and profile each display using the exact same settings. They should be at least nearly indistinguishable from each other.

If you're in the printing industry, or will do any CMYK work for them at all, then a properly calibrated monitor goes past important to extremely important. The CMYK black color balance in Photoshop is based on your monitor's settings. Using a D50 color balance for the monitor, you get a perfect CMYK gray balance in Photoshop.

With a 6500K setup, the balance would be something more like 80, 79, 55, 95. Very blueish/purplish. Your clients will not be happy that everything that's supposed to be neutral gray, isn't.

Sep 1, 2023 6:12 AM in response to Kurt Lang

"Expert mode is still there. You have to hold down the Option key while clicking the + button to start a new calibration."

It's unfortunately not on my computer.

"And why do you think a monitor profiling system would fail? They've been around for decades, and work very well. The last step the software does is save the completed profile (which also contains the LUT to set the matching calibration) and automatically sets it as that monitor's default profile."

Because everything that has been working for years is failing right now...

Man... I've been sitting in front of my Studio Display for 30 minutes so far and my head is pounding. The red/blue light is excruciating...

Sep 1, 2023 7:22 AM in response to Krissserz

This may be an issue with how Apple's Studio Display works with the OS. But I can only guess. However, I have no trouble bringing up Expert Mode.

System Settings > Displays. Nothing unusual here. I presume you see essentially the same thing.

Clicking on the double arrow next to the currently selected profile gets me the typical list of profiles you can choose. Most of which are not monitor profiles at all. Choose Customize at the bottom:

That brings you here:

Holding the Option key and clicking the + button brings up the Calibrator in Expert Mode as expected:

If this isn't working for you, I couldn't tell you why. Other than Apple possibly has some sort of non-standard way of doing things with the Studio Display.

Beyond all that, you complain this is driving you crazy, but won't spend a lousy $300 to get the hardware/software package to do this quickly, and more importantly, correctly. And yes, after spending $7,000 for what you have, $300 is nothing.

And why "correctly". Because you already have a visual mismatch. The only thing expert mode will do for you is allow you to move the Kelvin slider for each monitor so they visually match. But since they already don't match, you'll have to choose a different value for each monitor. The OS has no clue what you're looking at. It will only know you DON'T want the monitors to match.

Sep 1, 2023 12:33 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Expert Mode doesn't show up on MacBook Pro M2 16-inch, nor my Studio Display.

I received both items 2 weeks ago.

I'm running Ventura 13.5.1.

System Settings > Displays:

Click on Preset:

alt (option) click on +:

No Display Calibrator whatsoever.

System > Library > ColorSync > Calibrators > Display Calibrator:

No Expert Mode even if alt (option) click:

Upon my research, seems like a lot of us are in the same situation. :(

Sep 3, 2023 6:34 AM in response to Kurt Lang

I watched the video, and what I saw seemed way too complicated; I wanted something a little more intuitive and user-friendly (plug, calibrate, play), as the SpyderX seems to be.

I'm not a colour technician/scientist, and playing with all those numbers scare me.

However, you DID tell me: "You don't need to waste your time manually futzing with the values. If you simply choose D50 from the menu, those values are already correctly and automatically set."

Would that be the "White Point" menu? Art uses "Measure". I would choose "D50"? If so, what should I do from there?

Concerning the brightness adjustment button: I read the comments and I found this:

This is what I was talking about :(

Concerning the profiles not sticking after sleep or reboot:

This is also what I was talking about :(

If ever those issues get resolved, is there a specific X-Rite product you recommend? Art recommends the Calibrite ColorChecker Display Pro (which I think I would choose considering the price and after reading the description) or Plus (which is discontinued).

Thanks again!

Sep 8, 2023 6:02 AM in response to Kurt Lang

The default preset (Reference Mode) of the Studio Display has a luminance of 600, which is way too bright:

However, it is possible to manually change the brightness of the screen.

When I change the brightness to another number, it is impossible to change the brightness:

That being said, when I put it to 80 – what is that, anyway... Nits? Lumens? Candelas? – the display gets so dark, I can hardly see anything. I guess that's normal?

Thank you!

Mar 7, 2024 8:22 AM in response to Krissserz

I am having this exact same issue with my 16" MBP M3.

I have a Mac Studio Display which has what I would consider a standard white balance/tint for most apple products, as it looks similar to my old 2018 MBP and my MBP M1 work laptop.

When I use the display with my work MBP M1 laptop, images will look (as near as makes no differences) the same between my MBP m1 display and the Studio Display.

When I use my display with my new M3, the M3 has a strong yellow and slightly green cast to it. White balance is completely different than the display, and worse IMO. Whites on the MBP M3 clearly look yellow/warmer than whites on the Studio Display, and this difference in color balance/tint is visible across all images. The studio display in comparison shows what I would consider closer to a white color.

I want to note that I have tested this with all settings that might affect how the display looks turned off (True Tone, Night Shift, Auto Brightness Adjustment).

Similarly, comparing the new MBP M3 to my work MBP M1, the M3 looks overly warm and yellow compared to the M1, which shows whites much more cleanly.

I brought my MBP M3 to the apple store, and after doing side by side comparisons with other MBP M3s in the store and seeing the yellow tint, they agreed to replace the screen for me as well as re-image the laptop in case the issue was firmware based. Unfortunately, the new screen still has the same yellow cast to it, and still shows whites and colors completely differently than my MBP M1 and Studio Display.

Overall, I'm really annoyed. After spending $4700 on a computer of which the XDR screen was a huge selling point, I'm stuck with a machine that displays colors differently than most every other apple product I have. I'm not a professional colorist by any means and typically just use the default apple display profile as a baseline to color grade against, however the color tint on my laptop is so egregious that it will ultimately affect my ability to do any sort of color correction. If I end up being forced to use my studio display for all color correction, that defeats the purpose of a portable $4700 laptop and I should have just bought a Mac Studio.

Final thoughts: If I could return this laptop, I would (despite the machine itself working very well). Unfortunately, due to having having the screen replaced, my laptop is no longer eligible to be returned. The annoying thing is that this screen tint is one of those issues that once you see, it becomes an annoying itch that you can't ignore that will negatively impact everything I do (not just photo editing/Lightroom, but literally anything that involves looking at the screen).

Ultimately, I don't know if this is screen QC issue, a firm ware issue, or an OS Sonoma thing that results in this yellow screen. Regardless, I now have a $4700 machine that annoys me every time I use it.

Attached image: Uploading the image weirdly causes it to be rotated 180*, however the yellower screen on the left is my 16" MBP M3, and on the right is my 16" MBP M1. Both have True Tone, Night Shift, and Auto Brightness turned off, and are displaying the same image (https://www.ledr.com/colours/white.htm) in Chrome.

Aug 20, 2023 3:01 PM in response to Krissserz

The likelihood of you getting the two monitors to look exactly alike is pretty small. Different makers and different screen color elements will vary somewhat even with duplicate monitors. Tolerances are never zero.

You may come close however.

The gold/yellow hue is likely from a setting increasing the warmth of the screen image.

MacBook Pro Display too yellow compared to Studio Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.