How do I free up disk space on my Mac

I cannot update my MacBook because it says I do not have enough disk space

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 3:41 PM

4 replies

Aug 20, 2023 3:44 PM in response to bradlie96

The files that you have control over are located in the Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Movies folders.  You can use this free app, GrandPerspective, to find the largest files on your drive so you can determine if they can be deleted or moved to an external HD for storage.

Note: you can empty the Downloads folder after the apps and/or updates that were downloaded have been installed or applied.  Some users have found a couple of Gigabytes of files in their Downloads folder which are no longer needed. 

You will need a minimum of 50 GB of free space for system upgrades. For optimal performance it's recommended to maintain a minimum of 80-100 GB of free space.

Aug 20, 2023 4:16 PM in response to bradlie96

More info on this would be as follows:

Free up Drive Space

It is generally considered optimal to alway keep at least 15% to 20% of the Total Drives’ Capacity to be kept as Empty Space, to allow the system to do general housekeeping tasks. Allowing the computer to drop below these levels will eventually cause reduced or poor system performance.

The following links can assist in identifying what is taking up space on the Internal Drive and provide possible ways to remove data that is using excessive amounts of drive space. 

➡️  Rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac

➡️  What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

➡️  Free up storage space on your Mac

➡️  How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac 

➡️  See used and available storage space on your Mac

How do I free up disk space on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.