Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install update

For some reason I can’t update my MacBook cause of storage I tried everything to free up space any thoughts?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 11:52 AM

How much free space do you have on your boot drive? If it's not at least 50 GB free up more space. You can use this free app, GrandPerspective, to find the largest files on your drive so you can determine if they can be deleted or moved to an external HD for storage.

Note: you can empty the Downloads folder after the apps and/or updates that were downloaded have been installed or applied.  Some users have found a couple of Gigabytes of files in their Downloads folder which are no longer needed. 

It's also best if you can maintain a minimum of about 80 GB for free space to facilitate optimal system and application performance.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2023 11:52 AM in response to domanickelmore84

How much free space do you have on your boot drive? If it's not at least 50 GB free up more space. You can use this free app, GrandPerspective, to find the largest files on your drive so you can determine if they can be deleted or moved to an external HD for storage.

Note: you can empty the Downloads folder after the apps and/or updates that were downloaded have been installed or applied.  Some users have found a couple of Gigabytes of files in their Downloads folder which are no longer needed. 

It's also best if you can maintain a minimum of about 80 GB for free space to facilitate optimal system and application performance.

Install update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.