Magsafe 2 to Magsafe 3 adapter to use older apple monitor with new MacBook Pro?

I'd like to use my newer MacBook Pro (MagSafe 3) at my office where we have many older apple monitors that have the MagSafe and USB-C cables attached. I don't want to have to carry my charger around with me. Is there an adapter I can use to POWER / charge my laptop from this cable?

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 4:55 PM

The charging protocol required for MagSafe-3 has COMPLETELY changed, and is not compatible with older MagSafe inputs.

Most recent MacBook Pro can charge from any USB-C Native device that features USB-C Power delivery, such as recent Displays and powered Docks. But NOT from older displays.

I suggest you buy another power adapter, or maybe a powered Dock, charge the cost to the Office, and keep it at the office so you won't have to carry it home and back.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2023 4:55 PM in response to cjaneb

The charging protocol required for MagSafe-3 has COMPLETELY changed, and is not compatible with older MagSafe inputs.

Most recent MacBook Pro can charge from any USB-C Native device that features USB-C Power delivery, such as recent Displays and powered Docks. But NOT from older displays.

I suggest you buy another power adapter, or maybe a powered Dock, charge the cost to the Office, and keep it at the office so you won't have to carry it home and back.

Magsafe 2 to Magsafe 3 adapter to use older apple monitor with new MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.