Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Related Article: Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or PC

How do I age photos so that old photos are placed in correct date order

I wish to add to my library of photos some that are say 10 years old and would like them stored in date order

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 9:43 AM

Since you did ask specifically about "aging" photos:

If you are scanning old photos, or the photos you are adding are lacking proper internal metadata for some other reason, they may come in bearing incorrect capture dates (perhaps the date of scan or import). In this case, you can use Image > Adjust Date and Time... to get them into their correct sequence.

Note that if you use that Adjust command when a number of items are selected, their dates and times will all be offset by the same amount, not all set to the same value. (This is crucial in repairing simple errors in camera calendar settings, but it can cause confusion when scanning old photos in a different sequence or timing than they were taken.)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2023 9:43 AM in response to PdeP

Since you did ask specifically about "aging" photos:

If you are scanning old photos, or the photos you are adding are lacking proper internal metadata for some other reason, they may come in bearing incorrect capture dates (perhaps the date of scan or import). In this case, you can use Image > Adjust Date and Time... to get them into their correct sequence.

Note that if you use that Adjust command when a number of items are selected, their dates and times will all be offset by the same amount, not all set to the same value. (This is crucial in repairing simple errors in camera calendar settings, but it can cause confusion when scanning old photos in a different sequence or timing than they were taken.)

Aug 20, 2023 10:27 PM in response to PdeP

If these photos have the proper internal metadata about when they were taken (as would have been created by a digital camera or a phone even ten years ago), and if you are looking at your photos in one of the capture-ordered views (Years, Months, Days, or All Photos) or a user-defined Album set to sort by Date Taken, you should get what you want.

How do I age photos so that old photos are placed in correct date order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.