Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How do I change the modified date of all photos in my library?

Hi!

I've encountered a curious problem. I wanted to make a fresh import into Lightroom so I exported my entire 12000+ pictures from Apple Photo into a folder. I then noticed that all my photos had "Modified Date" set to beginning of May 2023. All of them. I have no clue how that happened but it messed up Apple Photos. Pictures that are 20 years old is now shown next to pictures from last week.

"Created Date" on the pictures is correct and I found a little app (A Better Finder Attributes) that allowed me to set "Modified Date" to "Created Date" on all photos. It's not optimal but it's better than the alternative.

Now the problem: How do I get these photos with the correct date back into Apple Photos? Do I delete all the photos from the library and wait for that to percolate down from my MacBook Air to my phone, my iPad and my Mac Studio? Or is there another way to do it?

All help is greatly appreciated 😀

/Thomas Kristenen

Mac Studio, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 10:10 AM

I forgot to make the title of the script a link to it. Here it is: Script: Batch Changing the Title to the Capture Date 2018,

If you have all of the photos in the folder that are in the library just do what Richard.Taylor said: create a new library to replace the current one.

However, if you nave a lot of keywords is the old library that you want to save the delete the photos from the current library and import the folder of photos into the current library. That will preserve the keywords but not associated with the files.

If you're concerned about the keywords then a new library would be more efficient .

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2023 10:10 AM in response to ThomasKristensen

I forgot to make the title of the script a link to it. Here it is: Script: Batch Changing the Title to the Capture Date 2018,

If you have all of the photos in the folder that are in the library just do what Richard.Taylor said: create a new library to replace the current one.

However, if you nave a lot of keywords is the old library that you want to save the delete the photos from the current library and import the folder of photos into the current library. That will preserve the keywords but not associated with the files.

If you're concerned about the keywords then a new library would be more efficient .

Oct 24, 2023 10:30 AM in response to ThomasKristensen

The thing is, there is more than one meaning for "Created Date." Finder is a file management system, so "Created Date" for Finder is the date the file was created. Sometimes that's the same as the date the picture was taken; sometimes not. The date the picture was taken, sometimes called the "Capture Date," is stored in the metadata of the image file, and stays the same even when the file is re-created with a different file date. Most Apps that handle images will read the Capture Date directly from the metadata and ignore the file date. Preview and Photos and Lightroom should all do that.

So, try importing a few of your images into Photos and see what date it shows. It's probably OK. The only downside would be if the app you used to change dates messed up the metadata--probably not.

Oct 25, 2023 6:55 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Thanks for the answer and sorry for the confusion with "Created Date" and "Capture Date".

My next question is: How do I get all images replaced on 4 devices? Delete everything and wait for synchronization and then re-import everything? Or do I start an entirely new Photos library, import and then wait for synchronization?

Thanks!

Oct 26, 2023 7:28 AM in response to ThomasKristensen

Hey, Thomas,

I'd create a new Photos Library (close Photos and option-click on the Photos Icon) and then, in this new empty library, use File>Import to load in the pictures. If you select a folder that has folders in it you can, before you say OK to import, tell Photos you want to maintain the folder structure, and you'll get folders with albums inside corresponding to your folders inside of folders.

The one crazy thing is that they will all be in a, to me, superfluous, super folder, and you have to drag them out of that--silly, but not so bad.

How do I change the modified date of all photos in my library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.