Smart hardware keyboard cap lock key does nothing

When I hit the cap lock key and the light comes on, it does not produce all caps. I typed this with the caps lock light on. Please don’t tell me I have setting set to change language. In iPadOS 16.6 that is not an option. The caps lock button essential does nothing. My magic keyboard

iPad Pro

Posted on Aug 20, 2023 8:39 PM

8 replies

Aug 21, 2023 4:42 PM in response to regulation

Hello regulation,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with your caps lock being unresponsive. Have you tried restarting your iPad? This simple step resolves a multitude of issues: Restart your iPad - Apple Support

"How to restart an iPad without a Home button

1. Press and hold either volume button and the top button until the power off slider appears.

2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
  3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the top button until you see the Apple logo.

How to restart an iPad with a Home button

1. Press and hold the top button until the power off slider appears.
  2. Drag the slider, then wait for 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
  3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the top button until you see the Apple logo."

Also, try the steps here to see if they resolve the issue if a restart doesn't work: If you can't connect your iPad to your Magic Keyboard, Smart Keyboard, or Smart Keyboard Folio

Cheers!

Aug 21, 2023 5:10 PM in response to regulation

Hey there regulation,

We'd like to continue ruling out some possible causes, along with learning more about what's happening:

1. When did enabling the Caps Lock key stop working?
  2. Have tested if the same issue occurs while the keyboard is connected to a different device?
  3. Any recent drops with the keyboard, or contact with any liquid?

Cheers!

Aug 21, 2023 5:14 PM in response to regulation

Hey there regulation,

We'd like to continue ruling out some possible causes, along with learning more about what's happening:

1. When did enabling the Caps Lock key stop working?
  2. Have tested if the same issue occurs while the keyboard is connected to a different device?
  3. Any recent drops with the keyboard, or contact with any liquid?

Cheers!

Smart hardware keyboard cap lock key does nothing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.