Remember mirroring settings for specific displays

Hi,

For a beamer, an Apple TV and an external HDMI monitor I need very different settings. Is it possible to make the mac remember different settings for specific monitors?

thanks

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 11:06 PM

I figured it out, it was a Spaces/Exposé problem, not a monitor problem. Somehow my desktops got mixed up, and I had to reassign the black desktop to the AppleTV-Beamer to be able to black out the beamer image via cmd-F1 toggling from mirroring (while presenting) to extended monitor (while black). The monitor at home was not affected. Thanks for helping, Luis.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2023 11:06 PM in response to schmunzelmonster

I figured it out, it was a Spaces/Exposé problem, not a monitor problem. Somehow my desktops got mixed up, and I had to reassign the black desktop to the AppleTV-Beamer to be able to black out the beamer image via cmd-F1 toggling from mirroring (while presenting) to extended monitor (while black). The monitor at home was not affected. Thanks for helping, Luis.

Aug 22, 2023 9:37 AM in response to schmunzelmonster

ps I didn't write what I want:

1. I'd like to turn the beamer black without using the remote. The cmd-F1 toggle with black second desktop does this fine. The menu bar doesn't disturb.
  2. I'd like to be able to use the computer for something else than the presentation for a moment, without disconnecting from the beamer. With 1. I'd get this with a black screen, but ideally I'd like to choose what the audience should see while I do this.

thanks!

Aug 21, 2023 9:19 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Interesting, it is good to know that it will do this automatically. I always struggle with a particular beamer that I access via wifi on an AppleTV. The beamer sometimes mirrors the macbook, as it makes sense for me, but it also sometimes connects as the main monitor (my external monitor at home is set up this way) which makes me search for the mouse forever.

Today the screen froze again as I toggled the presentation off and back on with cmd-brightness-down to show a second desktop with black wallpaper.

I can't figure out what is wrong or reproduce things well. At least it seems to be not an issue of the M1 not being able to distinguish various displays.

Do you have an idea what might happen here?

Aug 21, 2023 10:35 AM in response to schmunzelmonster

I usually only use physically attached displays. I do have an Apple TV, but it is mostly my daughter that uses it with her mac to watch movies on the tv screen.

" but it also sometimes connects as the main monitor (my external monitor at home is set up this way) which makes me search for the mouse forever. "

Since you know that you can toggle mirroring on or off, there is no need to search for the cursor. Use the Command-F1 (or Command-brightness down, as you say).

Now, of course, when that causes a crash, it is bad; but if it happened only once, it may remain unexplained. If it happens repeatedly, then we may try to dig deeper.

Aug 22, 2023 8:57 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't aware that cmd-F1 toggles mirroring vs. extended display. I thought it would toggle Desktop 1 and Desktop 2 in Spaces, so I gave Desktop 2 a black wallpaper and all was fine, until I got the new monitor. Since I had the new monitor, I still have Desktop 2 black but cmd-F1 would toggle to whatever I had on the other desktop at home.

The Apple TV is just there to reach the beamer on Wifi instead of an HDMI cable, to be more mobile. Do I maybe need to set up Spaces while connected to the Apple TV/ beamer? "Displays have separate Spaces" is on, maybe I need to turn this off. Help says it's required for Split View, but I use Moom or Window Tidy to arrange windows, not Split View, so I could do without. I'll try out next time I'm there whether turning separate spaces off brings my mirror/black toggle back.

In addition, it would be nice if I could leave the beamer on the presentation instead of black while using my computer for something else the audience shouldn't see. Is this possible without connecting as secondary monitor and moving cursors on a monitor behind my back?

Aug 22, 2023 9:45 AM in response to schmunzelmonster

I am not sure but I guess that you are getting into trouble not because of command-F1 but because of the presentation software (Powerpoint? Keynote? Something else?). They tend to somehow grab the system display and not play nice with doing Command-F1.

I bet that you don’t get a black screen if doing the same Command-F1 if something other is running (Safari, Preview, etc)

Aug 22, 2023 10:08 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

no, I usually exit presentation mode for this and make the slides as big as possible. I use keynote.

Sometimes I need to eg. spontaneously search for a file and would like to black out the beamer while I search. This used to work fine outside of presentation mode with the black wallpaper on Desktop 2 and toggling with cmd-F1 between mirroring (for presentation) and black extended desktop (for going through files). If I just get this functionality back it would be very useful. Right now it just shows a desktop with my calendar and notes that I don't want to have on the beamer either.

This is a black screen I want, I do this deliberately, like turning the beamer off.

Aug 22, 2023 10:38 AM in response to schmunzelmonster

I don't use Keynote (much less Powerpoint) for presentations, as mine are written in LaTeX and presented in pdf format; but AFAICR, the default for these programs is to use extended desktop in presentation mode, not mirroring. You get a "presenter display" in your built-in and the fullscreen slides on the other. This way, there will be no need to use Command-F1.

Just so long as you make sure that the built-in display is "active", and no other windows are set on the external, you'd only need to Command-tab to Finder or another application...

Remember mirroring settings for specific displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.