12 pro max ios 16.6 zoom in pic isn’t focusing

I didn’t notice until later i bought my phone that whenever i use portrait or zoom in my camera to 2.5x upwards it doesn’t focus on anything and all remains blur the i tried with a friend phone (also a 12 pro max and there was a huge difference)

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 12:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 1:04 AM

If you are using a third-party camera app then please use the iOS Camera app and then compare.

Use iPhone camera tools to set up your shot

Before you take a photo, the iPhone camera automatically sets the focus and exposure, and face detection balances the exposure across many faces. If you want to manually adjust the focus and exposure, do the following:

1. Open Camera.
  2. Tap the screen to show the automatic focus area and exposure setting.
  3. Tap where you want to move the focus area.
  4. Next to the focus area, drag  up or down to adjust the exposure.
  5. To lock your manual focus and exposure settings for upcoming shots, touch and hold the focus area until you see AE/AF Lock; tap the screen to unlock settings.
  • On iPhone 11 and later, you can precisely set and lock the exposure for upcoming shots. Tap , tap , then move the slider to adjust the exposure. The exposure locks until the next time you open Camera. To save the exposure control so it’s not reset when you open Camera, go to Settings  > Camera > Preserve Settings, then turn on Exposure Adjustment.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2023 1:04 AM in response to Hacker_akaya

If you are using a third-party camera app then please use the iOS Camera app and then compare.

Use iPhone camera tools to set up your shot

Before you take a photo, the iPhone camera automatically sets the focus and exposure, and face detection balances the exposure across many faces. If you want to manually adjust the focus and exposure, do the following:

1. Open Camera.
  2. Tap the screen to show the automatic focus area and exposure setting.
  3. Tap where you want to move the focus area.
  4. Next to the focus area, drag  up or down to adjust the exposure.
  5. To lock your manual focus and exposure settings for upcoming shots, touch and hold the focus area until you see AE/AF Lock; tap the screen to unlock settings.
  • On iPhone 11 and later, you can precisely set and lock the exposure for upcoming shots. Tap , tap , then move the slider to adjust the exposure. The exposure locks until the next time you open Camera. To save the exposure control so it’s not reset when you open Camera, go to Settings  > Camera > Preserve Settings, then turn on Exposure Adjustment.

12 pro max ios 16.6 zoom in pic isn’t focusing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.