Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

2 month old Apple Watch SE draining battery in 5 hours

Two month old Apple Watch SE purchased from T-Mobile when upgrading phone May 2023.

battery draining every 5 hours from full 100% charge.

took off charger 7am, back on with 8% battery at 12:30. Put back on charger until it reached 100% at 3pm, and just took off now at 8:45 with 4% battery life.

i am on watch os9.6.1 and was on watch 9.6 prior with the same problem.

one month ago I took my watch swimming in a no deeper then 6 foot chlorine pool for the 3rd-4th time since I owned it. On that day, my watch shut down and began “boot cycling” by trying to load the Apple screen and then shutting off, the reloading Apple logo, and rinse and repeat.

I drained the battery completely, unpaired the watch, charged it, repaired it, and began to experience battery issues.

I have sent it into Apple service via mail 4 different times, only for them to return it to me 4 times. “Sorry but we don’t service batteries over 80% health.”

in my battery settings on my watch, my battery health states it’s at 100%. But I cannot believe that an almost brand new watch is needing to be recharged every 5 hours.

I go for 30-45 minute runs 3 times a week but otherwise, that I know of, my watch is not engaged in any specific battery draining activities that I know of. I have no sound playing from my watch for alerts, I have tried hard rebooting and unpairing and repairing the watch numerous times, restoring from backup, not restoring from backup, etc.

I am at my wits end and Apple seems to be no help. I have avoided going to a Genius Bar for an appointment as the closest one is a 30 minute drive each way. I realize this is not that tremendously far, it’s just honestly inconvenient and frustrating for me to have to bring the watch directly to them to hopefully have some different result.

if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions please, anything would be appreciated

Posted on Aug 21, 2023 6:03 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Aug 22, 2023 4:18 AM in response to jobasedow

Personally I would not get my Apple Watch wet at all simply because of the financial risk, but if you swim you do take a risk because Apple do not guarantee water resistance.

Do as WheelieNock suggests and have it looked at.

Regarding Battery usage there is one ultimate test to rule out iphone software interference which is the last user tip at the end of this one

Apple Watch uses a LOT of battery - Apple Community

Aug 22, 2023 12:37 AM in response to jobasedow

Have you tried a forced restart?

To force restart, hold down the side button and the Digital Crown at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

If you've tried that , I would go to a Genius Bar if I were you because I think this is due to water damage. Apple Watch is not water proof, it is water resistant and that is a condition that can wane

Aug 22, 2023 3:27 AM in response to WheelieNick

Thank you for replying. I have tried multiple forced restarts but still no resolution to my battery life. I also read your note about possible water damage and the water resistance waning over time. Please note the following is not a criticism of you and your reply but the product. I hope that is not the case, it would be greatly frustrating if the water resistance on a device that says it’s water resistant up to 50m waned after 2 months of buying a brand new device and encountering a small to moderate amount of advertised water depth. I would hope that would be also investigated a little more thoroughly when I sent it in for service instead of just being sent back letters saying they don’t service batteries over 80% battery health. Perhaps going to a Genius Bar and actually speaking with someone would be better as I can actually explain it to someone instead of just mailing it in with generic service selections and having no one from Apple contacting me

Aug 23, 2023 11:23 AM in response to jobasedow

Thank you for making this post, I thought I was going crazy!!

I have the exact same watch and same issues since upgrading. It’s a joke. 100% when I strap it on in the morning and dead by 6pm now.

I have also experienced the exact same issue when swimming this week. 2 now during my swim workout the watch has just rebooted itself and got stuck on the Apple logo.

I took mine to the Genius Bar tonight and they said nothing was wrong with the watch and that they couldn’t do anything! So frustrating. All the diagnostics said the battery and everything was perfect

It has to be this latest software update! That’s the only thing that has changed with my daily use. To affect it this badly is shocking though! I don’t know what to do

2 month old Apple Watch SE draining battery in 5 hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.