Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

if I turn off icloud on my computer do photos in my imac library disappear?

I have a lot of photos stored on this imac. I no longer want to use icloud in ANY way. Will deleting icloud on my computer and phone lose photos in my imac library?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 10:01 AM

If you don't have "Optimize Mac Storage" enabled you can disengage iCloud Library in Photo's iCloud settings pane and not lose any photos.

If you do have "Optimize Mac Storage" enabled here's what you need to do to get a full sized library independent of iCloud:

1 - find a volume that's big enough to hold the full sized library, i.e. an external drive or equivalent

2 - create a new library on the destination volume.

3 - set the new library to be the System Photo Library and enable iCloud Library. DO NOT ENABLE "Optimize Mac Storage".

4 - leave you iMac on with Photos open in the background while it downloads the entire library from iCloud. It can take up to a week or more depending on the size of the library. Do not put the iMac to sleep at night. Just let the screensaver come on.

5 - once the download is completed check the library to make sure it's working and has all of your photos and videos.

6 - once confirmed disengage iCloud Library on the new library.

7 - delete the old library.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2023 10:01 AM in response to guna98

If you don't have "Optimize Mac Storage" enabled you can disengage iCloud Library in Photo's iCloud settings pane and not lose any photos.

If you do have "Optimize Mac Storage" enabled here's what you need to do to get a full sized library independent of iCloud:

1 - find a volume that's big enough to hold the full sized library, i.e. an external drive or equivalent

2 - create a new library on the destination volume.

3 - set the new library to be the System Photo Library and enable iCloud Library. DO NOT ENABLE "Optimize Mac Storage".

4 - leave you iMac on with Photos open in the background while it downloads the entire library from iCloud. It can take up to a week or more depending on the size of the library. Do not put the iMac to sleep at night. Just let the screensaver come on.

5 - once the download is completed check the library to make sure it's working and has all of your photos and videos.

6 - once confirmed disengage iCloud Library on the new library.

7 - delete the old library.

if I turn off icloud on my computer do photos in my imac library disappear?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.