Search Marquis

I am trying to remove the Search Marquis browser virus from my MacBook. I'm following the method that was shared with me: inspect these 3 files and post to the community to seek help regarding anything that may have found its way onto the files. If anyone could get in contact with more regarding these screenshots, that would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 2:22 PM

After backing up your system, start up in safe mode and remove the only file that is showing.

Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

I have not seen that specific file related to the Search Marquis malware, have you deleted others previously?

4 replies

Aug 22, 2023 3:12 PM in response to tucker_noah

It is normal to have some files in those locations that are not related to Search Marquis. It appears you may have deleted files that were not related to the Malware and the affects on your system are unknown without knowing the names of those files.

If possible, I would recommend restoring to a backup before you deleted those files and post the same locations to get advice on only the specific files that should be deleted.

By following my previous post, the Search Marquis should be gone, but not sure what other files were previously deleted and how that will affect your system going forward. Check the article by John Galt and specifically the last couple of paragraphs to reset the search engine and verify Extensions and Profiles.

Removing "Search Marquis" / "Search Baron… - Apple Community

Aug 22, 2023 7:49 PM in response to tucker_noah

It looks as though you removed all files in all three of those folders, with the exception of the one file in your first screenshot. It definitely needs to go. Remove it while in safe mode. Then, restart your Mac normally and confirm that it does not reappear.

There is no problem with all three folders being empty. The only files that should remain in any of them should be for software that you deliberately installed and are certain you need, which is usually a small number. Removing "Search Marquis" / "Search Baron" / etc on your own - Apple Community describes some of them.

Search Marquis

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.