iMessage with eSIM abroad

Hi all. I am sure this question has been asked and answered many times so forgive me.

I am traveling from the US to Europe and plan to buy a European eSIM plan with voice and date. It will come with a European phone number.

My question is, if I want to communicate with iMessage with folks back home in the US, would we have to use our email addresses to initiate the text chain? I plan to have cellular data on my original US SIM turned off to avoid data. If someone back home sends a message to my home number, will I still get the iMessage in Europe in that my phone number and email address are both listed on my phone as means to send and receive texts?

I would rather not have to give everybody back home the European phone number and make them use that

Thank you...

Henry

iPhone 14, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 11:49 PM

iMessage and FaceTime work over data. If you keep your number in your Messages and FaceTime settings ("You can receive iMessages to and reply from") you can keep your existing text chains. You can also set the number you use to start new conversations on the same page. See Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime - Apple Support. Good luck and safe travels.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2023 11:49 PM in response to Hankbythebay

iMessage and FaceTime work over data. If you keep your number in your Messages and FaceTime settings ("You can receive iMessages to and reply from") you can keep your existing text chains. You can also set the number you use to start new conversations on the same page. See Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime - Apple Support. Good luck and safe travels.

iMessage with eSIM abroad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.