Antivirus on Mac?

Hi l have been reading here that we don't need antivirus on a Mac l recentley purchase a new Mac Air l spoke with an Apple technician over a another issue and he recommended l get Malwarebytes go figure

Posted on Aug 22, 2023 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 3:35 PM

Paranoid might be a little extreme. It's beneficial to be cautious. That's the inspiration for the "effective defenses" principles.

"Anti-virus" products present not only a security threat, they tend to instill a misplaced and irresponsible sense of security. Plenty of people asking for help on this site are already running various and sundry "anti-virus" and / or "anti-malware" things, yet they didn't help. Most of them will only cause troubles of their own.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2023 3:35 PM in response to Mietta77

Paranoid might be a little extreme. It's beneficial to be cautious. That's the inspiration for the "effective defenses" principles.

"Anti-virus" products present not only a security threat, they tend to instill a misplaced and irresponsible sense of security. Plenty of people asking for help on this site are already running various and sundry "anti-virus" and / or "anti-malware" things, yet they didn't help. Most of them will only cause troubles of their own.

Aug 23, 2023 9:46 PM in response to John Galt

You certainly seem to know what your talking about John many thanks l will leave well enough alone as l have already had disaster the day l bought it everything was fine till l rang Norton to help me install Norton 360 the technician did a remote access to my new Mac to install it for me don't know what he did but l could no longer get internet after 3 days of different technicians none of then could fix it they then wanted me to download an app to get rid of Norton , no way l called apple they did a FaceTime type thing and walked me through what to do 1 minute later all fixed l don't know why l would still want an antivirus but you have helped me decide l will leave it as is thanks again

Antivirus on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.