Missing Disk Space

Hello,

I was unable to update my Mac so I erased it. However I still couldn't update and had to create a new partition and it worked. Once newly installed I managed to delete the old partition, but it remains at 600GB whilst Apple SSD has 1TB. In diskutil you see ~390GB as free space…how can I allocate it back?

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 5:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 6:47 PM

I believe you will need to perform another clean install of macOS in order to reclaim that free space. I don't believe Disk Utility will allow merging of free space into another Container/partition if that free space is located in front of the Container/partition.

Besides the traditional method of a clean install, 2018+ Macs have a firmware "Restore" option which will properly prepare the Mac's internal SSD for macOS. With an Apple Silicon Mac which you appear to have here, the firmware "Restore" option will also push a clean copy of macOS onto the internal SSD. This is the easiest & best option as long as you have access to another Mac running macOS 12.4.

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Traditional method of reinstalling macOS (read the section for "erase your disk" for a clean install):

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

FYI, do not touch the other Containers labeled "disk0s1" and "disk0s3" since they are required by an Apple Silicon Mac. If these are deleted, then One True Recovery (1TR) will no longer work & the Apple Silicon Mac will no longer boot which will force you to perform a firmware "Restore".

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2023 6:47 PM in response to clifffromgostingen

I believe you will need to perform another clean install of macOS in order to reclaim that free space. I don't believe Disk Utility will allow merging of free space into another Container/partition if that free space is located in front of the Container/partition.

Besides the traditional method of a clean install, 2018+ Macs have a firmware "Restore" option which will properly prepare the Mac's internal SSD for macOS. With an Apple Silicon Mac which you appear to have here, the firmware "Restore" option will also push a clean copy of macOS onto the internal SSD. This is the easiest & best option as long as you have access to another Mac running macOS 12.4.

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Traditional method of reinstalling macOS (read the section for "erase your disk" for a clean install):

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

FYI, do not touch the other Containers labeled "disk0s1" and "disk0s3" since they are required by an Apple Silicon Mac. If these are deleted, then One True Recovery (1TR) will no longer work & the Apple Silicon Mac will no longer boot which will force you to perform a firmware "Restore".

Missing Disk Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.