MacBook Pro password forgotten

I’m trying to login to my MacBook Pro and forgot my password. No matter how many times I try and fail it doesn’t prompt me to reset. All it says is password is required to enable Touch ID. The only button below is to cancel. Help!

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 7:59 AM

Hi there!

If you've linked your user account with your Apple ID, resetting your login password is a breeze. Just follow these simple steps:

1. Look for the password field and click on the question mark icon right next to it.

2. In case you don't see the question mark, don't worry! Just hold down the power button until your Mac shuts down, then press the power button to restart it.

3. Now, keep an eye out for the arrow icon next to "reset it using your Apple ID." If you can't spot it, check out the Apple Support article titled "If you can't reset your Mac login password."

4. Time to enter your Apple ID and password, and then click "Next."

5. Follow the instructions given to reset your login password.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2023 7:59 AM in response to avajane08

Hi there!

If you've linked your user account with your Apple ID, resetting your login password is a breeze. Just follow these simple steps:

1. Look for the password field and click on the question mark icon right next to it.

2. In case you don't see the question mark, don't worry! Just hold down the power button until your Mac shuts down, then press the power button to restart it.

3. Now, keep an eye out for the arrow icon next to "reset it using your Apple ID." If you can't spot it, check out the Apple Support article titled "If you can't reset your Mac login password."

4. Time to enter your Apple ID and password, and then click "Next."

5. Follow the instructions given to reset your login password.

MacBook Pro password forgotten

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.