Using Cellular Data

If my iPhone Cellular Data is ON, and several apps are "on," are those apps using any data if the app is not actively open and being used?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 12:05 PM

13 replies

Aug 23, 2023 3:10 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you very much.

We use AT&T wireless and apparently, we've just kept Cellular Data on even though we office from home and have a strong WiFi connection. When we went over our data limit (the first time in 9 years) with no change in how we use our phones (we actually more or less only use them as phones), we couldn't understand why.

It seems (and I'm not clear on this), that Cellular Data "overrides the wifi if it's on so the last two months we exceeded our limit.

I'm trying to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Aug 24, 2023 8:19 AM in response to MichaelJonas

I think it's important to know that WiFi on an iPhone disconnects once the phone goes to sleep unless there is an active process or the phone is plugged in.

You can also check what's using cellular data in Settings>Cellular. If you go all the way to the bottom of the screen, you can reset the statistics. I recommend you do this on the last day of your billing cycle. You will then be able to see what apps are using your data. It's possible that there is an app that has gone rogue and is using more data than it ought.

Aug 24, 2023 8:35 AM in response to MichaelJonas

MichaelJonas wrote:

If I leave a number of apps "on" in the Cellular Data list (ones that I would use if Cellular Data were turned on), but I don't turn Cellular Data on, am I using any data?

If cellular data is turned off, there is no way for anything to use cellular data. Note that the reverse is not exactly true: even if you have no apps turned on under cellular data, the phone's native processes will still use it.

Aug 24, 2023 8:51 AM in response to MichaelJonas

MichaelJonas wrote:

Thank you...very much.

I have one more question (the last one)...If there are several apps "on", and I then turn on Cellular Data, are those apps using data if I haven't clicked on them to open them?

Yes, possibly.

Or should I leave all the apps "off" and only open the specific one I need after I turn on Cellular Data?

I think the first thing that needs to happen, before you start trying to micromanage apps, is that you need to find out why, after a long time, you're suddenly going over your data. Any individual, well-behaved app that isn't downloading or streaming content shouldn't be using so much data that having it enabled for a couple of minutes makes a difference.

Aug 24, 2023 9:15 AM in response to MichaelJonas

Hope you figure it out. I have seen some very rare occurrences where there is a mistake on the carrier's end. It's very hard to get them to admit that, though. That's why resetting the stats can be helpful. They won't absolutely believe your phone over their system but, if you have screenshots, it can help, especially if it becomes a problem.

And along those lines, have you looked at the detailed billing from your carrier? You should be able to see it on your carrier's website. It won't tell you what is using the data but it may give you some insight into when it's being used. That might help you narrow down the problem.

Aug 24, 2023 9:29 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I tried looking at the AT&T bill - not a paragon of clarity.

What I'm going to do is reset the Curricular Data meter, turn off all the apps, turn OFF Cellular Data, and then check usage in a day or so.

If there's no "leakage" then I'll turn ON several of the apps, turn OFF Cellular Data, and see if there's leakage then.

You've been a great help...thank you for the information and for being patient with me.

Michael

Using Cellular Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.