You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer data from old iPod to iTunes?

Hi we have a couple of old 80GB iPods that have some material on them we would like to transfer across to our current iTunes account. Is this possible. If so How?

Thanks Finn

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iPad mini 3, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 23, 2023 7:43 PM

4 replies

Aug 24, 2023 2:52 PM in response to Finnfromdownunder

Hey there Finnfromdownunder,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We'll be happy to help out. If you're working with an iPod that predates iCloud compatibility, you'll need a computer.

The following resource has options for syncing via iTunes: Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

For information on specifically transferring purchases, check this page: Transfer iTunes Store purchases to your PC - Apple Support

If this isn't what you're looking for, let us know more details and we'll do our best to point you in the right direction.

Take care.

Oct 29, 2023 9:55 AM in response to Finnfromdownunder

Moi / Serve Finnfromdownunder

Found this might help you. there is a video on the tube.

it involves some Terminal manipulations, writing couple of line of scripts to make appear hidden folder iPod_control

then drag and dropping the music folder to some local place on your local hard drive, like the dekstop

finally an import into iTunes form the very folder that received the music will do it

good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnft_3hMzCA

Dec 4, 2023 12:40 PM in response to danakayw

I have the same issue. Two 8GB iPods running iOS 6.1.6 and 4.2.1; MacBook Air M2, 2022, running Sonoma 14.1.2.

Some of the music is old and I uploaded it at the time to iTunes from CDs - but the songs/albums aren't available on Apple Music. (Examples are the soundtrack from the movie Toys and a CD, called Legends II, that I bought in Europe from a street-corner band.) I have no idea where the CDs are now (buried in boxes, since I've moved a couple of times since purchasing them).

I subscribe to Apple One Premier, so theoretically, I can upload the songs via the Music app, and they should appear in my Library, right? However, I tried that in the iOS 6.1.6 iPod: I turned on iTunes Match; it said it was going to delete my Library and copy it to iCloud, and turned on Show All Music. But, my music didn't appear in my iTunes library, and seemingly disappeared off the iPod. PANIC!

And, a side note at this point: after researching further, apparently only music that Apple somehow "knows" is legit will go up into my iCloud Music Library? I don't know how this is recognized, but I imported this music into iTunes from CDs I purchased legitimately years ago.

I then connected the 6.16 to my Air, thinking I could see files, as suggested in the video linked by @agk_ in this thread, along with multiple resources on the web in general. However, instead of showing as files in Finder, I get a window similar to the old iTunes app sync window. In this window, I can only delete the files. There's no way to copy or export them.

I get a slightly different window if I open the Music app that actually shows the songs are still there! Yay! However, I can select the files - but still can't copy or export them. And, for what it's worth, they're highlighted in red when I select them.

I don't want to lose my music! Might there be any further resources explaining how I might copy these files either to my computer or get them up into iCloud so I can listen on my current devices?

How to transfer data from old iPod to iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.