Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Type issues in Photoshop

I just upgraded to 10.14.6 Mojave on an 27" iMac desktop. I have Creative Suite 5 installed. All the Adobe software was working fine until recently. I predominately use Photoshop and Illustrator. Illustrator works fine but Photoshop has suddenly got issues. I can work a photo file OK but whenever I go to the type cursor, Photoshop shuts down.

Any ideas for fixing this problem?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 3:28 PM

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2023 3:28 PM in response to BarneyGoogles

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Aug 25, 2023 11:51 AM in response to BarneyGoogles

That means you have some software installed that is interfering with Photoshop.

Download and run Etrecheck. Be sure to give it Full Disk access before running.

Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Aug 25, 2023 11:44 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad. Started up in safe mode and tried Photoshop using the type tool. Did not crash when I clicked on the type cursor. Could type on an image fine. Started in regular mode and opened up Photoshop, when I went to type cursor, the app crashed.

Re-installed CS5 completely and it still didn't work in regular mode. Does this mean that when using Photoshop, I need to be in safe mode?

Aug 25, 2023 11:50 AM in response to BarneyGoogles

What it really means is CS5 is too old to run in Monterey. It's an effort to get CS6 running under that OS, much less CS5 or CS5.5.

If you can go back to it, install an OS no later than High Sierra. It was the last version of macOS that would run 32 bit apps without compromise (Apple's words). You'll have much better luck under High Sierra or older.

Type issues in Photoshop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.