Notes Sync Hanging -- Caused By Passwording + MANY Photos?

One of my clients had two newish macbook pros and two iphones (a 14 and a ?7?) all syncing to the same appleID / iCloud account. Their Notes app only had 25 notes in it. I couldn't figure out why the syncing was erratic / hanging, and then I saw that in iphone storage, Notes was taking up 65gb.

There was one Note that both was password protected AND had something like 100 photos in it.

I removed the password on that note (on all devices), AND moved that Note from "icloud" to "on my Mac" / "on this iphone".

But the syncing was still hanging. I logged into icloud, and deleted the note there as well, stopped and restarted syncing AND rebooted on all four devices. Notes still hanging.

I told them we should wait a day and see if it clears up, considering the 65gb. The next day it was fine - normal syncing had resumed.

BUT -- they really want that one big to Note resume syncing on all devices, WITH all those photos, and WITH a password.

Of course it's possible the note wasn't the cause. But assuming so -- which of the two things (passwords vs size) would be the most likely culprit?

iPhone 14

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 12:51 PM

Just to confirm, on my 2nd visit, I removed the single note (that contained the photos) from iCloud syncing, and then waited 24 hours. Then all four devices could sync he notes app again.

So the problem with the iPhone syncing notes was caused this one note that contained only 40 to 50 photographs in it.

I wonder if that’s normal, or whether one or more of the photos had some corruption is that caused this?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2023 12:51 PM in response to Doc Crumble

Just to confirm, on my 2nd visit, I removed the single note (that contained the photos) from iCloud syncing, and then waited 24 hours. Then all four devices could sync he notes app again.

So the problem with the iPhone syncing notes was caused this one note that contained only 40 to 50 photographs in it.

I wonder if that’s normal, or whether one or more of the photos had some corruption is that caused this?

Aug 31, 2023 5:02 PM in response to Doc Crumble

A week later, when I returned to the site, the individual containing all the photos had been dragged back into the "iCloud" folder for syncing (!), and the hanging on iPhone notes syncing has resumed. But I can't tell how soon after.

The problem is only on the 2 iPhones, NOT on the 2 MacBooks (all the same apple-id).

For now, I removed all the photos from the note, and unsynced-resynced the iPhones. They're stuck on 15 of 29 notes.

Notes Sync Hanging -- Caused By Passwording + MANY Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.