Related Article: About Apple USB power adapters

I have an Apple iPad Mini 6 which uses the USB C port for charging. When purchasing an adapter for European travel, is this adapter "is not Quick Charger 3.0; doesn't support any other devices which need 9~22V charging voltage" work?

Below is the description of the adapter being considered. My question is will my Apple iPad Mini 6 be chargeable on the USB C port of this travel adapter?

• European Travel Adapter USB C: Dual USB A ports can charge up to 2.4A, and the USB C port can charge up to 3A; Ideal for charging cell phone, tablet, laptop, earphone in dorm, bedroom and bathroom; Note: The USB-C port is not Quick Charger 3.0, doesn't support any other devices which need 9~22V charging voltage

iPad mini 6, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 5:42 PM

Hello,

The information LotusPilot is an accurate and helpful answer.

I just wanted to add some recommendations. Purchasing a European power adapter directly from the online Apple Store for whichever country you are visiting may be a more reliable solution. If you are staying at a hotel, hostel, or with a friend you could contact them to inquire about an address to have an item shipped then held for you to pickup when you arrive. This will ensure the adapter works in the county you will be visiting and be one less thing you need to remember when packing for your departure.

Choose your country or region - Apple - You cannot have anything shipped internationally so shipping to where you will be staying in Europe or having it ready to be picked up at an Apple Store if you will be staying close to one will be best.

If you are going to be visiting multiple European countries, I recommend purchasing the Apple World Traveler Adapter Kit. This has adapters for you to be able to charge your devices in a variety of countries.

Apple World Travel Adapter Kit - Apple

I hope this helps.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2023 5:42 PM in response to ChicaAJ

Hello,

The information LotusPilot is an accurate and helpful answer.

I just wanted to add some recommendations. Purchasing a European power adapter directly from the online Apple Store for whichever country you are visiting may be a more reliable solution. If you are staying at a hotel, hostel, or with a friend you could contact them to inquire about an address to have an item shipped then held for you to pickup when you arrive. This will ensure the adapter works in the county you will be visiting and be one less thing you need to remember when packing for your departure.

Choose your country or region - Apple - You cannot have anything shipped internationally so shipping to where you will be staying in Europe or having it ready to be picked up at an Apple Store if you will be staying close to one will be best.

If you are going to be visiting multiple European countries, I recommend purchasing the Apple World Traveler Adapter Kit. This has adapters for you to be able to charge your devices in a variety of countries.

Apple World Travel Adapter Kit - Apple

I hope this helps.

Aug 24, 2023 4:49 PM in response to ChicaAJ

All Apple USB-C Power Adapters support USB PD (Power Delivery) - as do all recent models of iPad. When selecting a third-party Power Adapter, you would be well advised to ensure that it explicitly supports USB PD.

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W (i.e., 2.4A @5V) or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters (1.0A @5V) intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow. Recent models of iPad are supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter.

Some third-party USB-C power adapters (and portable PowerBanks) may not support USB PD (Power Delivery). Power Delivery mutually negotiates the charging voltage; the source, load and cable are all elements involved in the negotiation protocol. Unless the Power Adapter explicitly supports USB PD, it will almost certainly fail to charge the iPad; proprietary charging standards, such as QC (Quick Charge), are not supported.

Aug 24, 2023 5:54 PM in response to ChicaAJ

Hi,

Alternatively, if you have an appropriate Apple USB-C power adapter today, you could just use this one with plug adapters for the countries you are going to visit.

If you study the text on the power adapter (a magnifying glass may be needed), the input voltage (and frequency) range should be seen. Typically, 100-240 VAC and 50-60 Hz for Apple power adapters.

I have an Apple iPad Mini 6 which uses the USB C port for charging. When purchasing an adapter for European travel, is this adapter "is not Quick Charger 3.0; doesn't support any other devices which need 9~22V charging voltage" work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.