Macbook Pro early 2008 - el capitan

I am looking to buy a used macbook for school and came across a macbook pro from early 2008 that is in good condition. It is running el capitan, and I am unsure weather I will be able to search the web and use google drive etc.

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 7:03 PM

Zach_greeny Said:

"Macbook Pro early 2008 - el capitan: I am looking to buy a used macbook for school and came across a MacBook: pro from early 2008 that is in good condition. It is running el capitan, and I am unsure whether I will be able to search the web and use google drive etc"

-------

Accessing Google Drive On this Device:

No. This device will not meet your expectations. According to Google, you need "macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and up" (as of the data of this reply). So, get a Mac compatible with "macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and up": System requirements and browsers - Google Drive Help - Google

Determining which Mac to Get:

Get a Mac compatible with macOS 10.15.7 and after

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See the Models compatible with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and up:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2023 7:03 PM in response to Zach_greeny

Zach_greeny Said:

"Macbook Pro early 2008 - el capitan: I am looking to buy a used macbook for school and came across a MacBook: pro from early 2008 that is in good condition. It is running el capitan, and I am unsure whether I will be able to search the web and use google drive etc"

-------

Accessing Google Drive On this Device:

No. This device will not meet your expectations. According to Google, you need "macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and up" (as of the data of this reply). So, get a Mac compatible with "macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and up": System requirements and browsers - Google Drive Help - Google

Determining which Mac to Get:

Get a Mac compatible with macOS 10.15.7 and after

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See the Models compatible with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 and up:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

Macbook Pro early 2008 - el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.