Finder not showing the accurate space being used

I apparently have around 38GB of free space:

When I duplicate those 3 files above (that would be around 1.7GB or so), the available space doesn't go down in the same amount of the duplicated files which would be around 36GB:

When I delete those files again, including from the Trash, it goes back to where it was, but this time with less space available:

For example I just deleted a few files that were supposed to use 12GB, but when I looked at the available size, it didn't change. Actually, this is not the first time I noticed this.

Any idea what's happening and how to fix this?

Thank you

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 2:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 1:02 PM

Storage space with the APFS file system is very complex and is not easy to understand especially dealing with smaller file sizes (yes 12GB is not significantly all that large in this context).

The only important value when looking at how much useable storage you have available at any particular moment in time is by using Disk Utility as @Ronasara mentioned in order to check the Free value listed there. The value shown in the Finder is "Available" storage which unfortunately is a terrible term to use here because it is not storage that is immediately usable....instead "Available" means that space will become usable at some unknown time in the future. The "Available" value is also shown in Disk Utility where it is shown to consist of "Purgeable" space with the remaining space being "Free". I personally think the Finder should be showing the actual Free value instead and within Disk Utility it should show as "Purgeable" instead of "Available" as these terms make much more sense to most people. "Available" is not the same as "Free".

The next thing to consider is how the APFS actually works. When you copy a file within the same APFS volume....you do not actually create a brand new second copy of the data like happens with most other older file systems. Instead on an APFS volume, only a small link file is created to point to the original file. This means when you delete either one of the two "files", you are only deleting a small link file....the actual data still remains on the APFS volume until the second "copy" or link is deleted. This is why you don't see a decrease in the Free space when copying files on an APFS volume.

Another thing unique to the APFS file system over other older Apple file systems is that APFS file systems can include APFS snapshots which are usually utilized by backup software such as Time Machine & other third party options. If an APFS snapshot exists, then you delete a large amount of data....that data may still reside in the hidden snapshot until that snapshot is deleted which should happen automatically at some point...maybe a day, or a week depending on the app used to create that snapshot. Backup snapshots will not delete automatically until they have been transferred to external media...even then it may take days for it to happen. Plus some third party apps may have a policy to retain certain snapshots for longer for some reason.

Plus remember when dealing with small amounts of data (even 12GB) that macOS and your apps may be writing and/or deleting items at the same time so it is hard to say what the changes in the "Available" & "Free" values may indicate without looking more closely at every change on the system.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2023 1:02 PM in response to tiagorocha

Storage space with the APFS file system is very complex and is not easy to understand especially dealing with smaller file sizes (yes 12GB is not significantly all that large in this context).

The only important value when looking at how much useable storage you have available at any particular moment in time is by using Disk Utility as @Ronasara mentioned in order to check the Free value listed there. The value shown in the Finder is "Available" storage which unfortunately is a terrible term to use here because it is not storage that is immediately usable....instead "Available" means that space will become usable at some unknown time in the future. The "Available" value is also shown in Disk Utility where it is shown to consist of "Purgeable" space with the remaining space being "Free". I personally think the Finder should be showing the actual Free value instead and within Disk Utility it should show as "Purgeable" instead of "Available" as these terms make much more sense to most people. "Available" is not the same as "Free".

The next thing to consider is how the APFS actually works. When you copy a file within the same APFS volume....you do not actually create a brand new second copy of the data like happens with most other older file systems. Instead on an APFS volume, only a small link file is created to point to the original file. This means when you delete either one of the two "files", you are only deleting a small link file....the actual data still remains on the APFS volume until the second "copy" or link is deleted. This is why you don't see a decrease in the Free space when copying files on an APFS volume.

Another thing unique to the APFS file system over other older Apple file systems is that APFS file systems can include APFS snapshots which are usually utilized by backup software such as Time Machine & other third party options. If an APFS snapshot exists, then you delete a large amount of data....that data may still reside in the hidden snapshot until that snapshot is deleted which should happen automatically at some point...maybe a day, or a week depending on the app used to create that snapshot. Backup snapshots will not delete automatically until they have been transferred to external media...even then it may take days for it to happen. Plus some third party apps may have a policy to retain certain snapshots for longer for some reason.

Plus remember when dealing with small amounts of data (even 12GB) that macOS and your apps may be writing and/or deleting items at the same time so it is hard to say what the changes in the "Available" & "Free" values may indicate without looking more closely at every change on the system.

Aug 26, 2023 12:51 PM in response to tiagorocha

Yes that is how it works. Definitely not easy to explain as you can see.

FYI, I have seen a couple forum contributors post regarding a setting to toggle in CCC to control some aspect of CCC's snapshotting....I believe it may have something to do with keeping some CCC snapshots around longer. You may want to investigate this aspect of CCC snapshots.

Plus when any changes occur to an APFS file system, macOS will first write the changes to the disk followed by updating any behind the scenes links to properly integrate the changes to the previous state of the file system. Because the APFS file system must first write to the drive its pending changes (new data, edits, deletions), there must be enough Free storage space available to write these changes even when deleting data. This makes the APFS file system much less likely to become corrupted due to an interruption such as a power outage.

Remember this behavior is only for the new APFS file systems utilized by macOS 10.13+.

Something else regarding APFS file systems you may want to be aware of....if you look closely at the drive layout of macOS 10.15+ system, you will notice that multiple APFS volumes are included within a single APFS container. Each APFS file system within a single hidden Container shares the same storage pool. You can see this within Disk Utility by how the "Free" space is the same for each of those APFS volumes. Each APFS volume within a single Container is its own entity that requires it to be mounted individually.

Containers are basically like a traditional partition found on older versions of macOS, Windows & Linux systems. The only difference between an APFS Container and a traditional partition is APFS Containers may have multiple volumes within them. A "Volume" is a mountable file system entity.

Not many websites have a short clear explanation of these new APFS features & behaviors which I feel comfortable posting here.

Here are a few links which I did not have time to look for or post previously (still can not find the link for the one site which had an explanation of the copy feature that I feel safe posting...the best one I could find today has advertising for products which are detrimental to the health of macOS even though they are legitimate products so I'm not posting it):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_File_System

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina or later - Apple Support

Signed system volume security in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

Aug 25, 2023 1:44 PM in response to HWTech

Thank so much for the hyper detailed reply!

I was getting the exact same results using Disk Utility, but I guess I now understand why so maybe you can clarify this for me?

So you're saying that for example if I have a 1GB file and I create an exact copy (duplicate it), I won't see an increase in space, because it's an exact clone, right?

If I then make a small change to that copy that's equivalent to 10MB for example, I would only see a decrease of 10MB in free disk space, because all the other 990MB would be "pointing" to the original file (something super simplified, but along these lines)? So the only way for me to see a 1GB decrease is if I imported a 1GB file from an external HD for example, or if I made changes to the copy "worth" of 1GB, right? Again, this is super simplified, but it's something along these lines, right?

If so, that's an awesome thing to know, because it actually makes a huge difference on how I will see storage being used from now on. I was always worried that creating multiple copies of a file would decrease the space by that amount, but it seems it won't (if I understood it correctly).

I agree that the wording should be different for both Finder and Disk Utility. But oh well, Apple doesn't always make it right haha

Regarding the snapshots, I do have them (Carbon Copy Cloner), but in this particular case that was not the issue, but yeah, I'm somewhat familiar with how they work and that they are hidden in the system. I actually got a Terminal script to show those screenshots without opening CCC (not that I will need that, because I can use CCC directly to delete them, but it's always good to know these things just in case.

Once again, truly appreciate your time and help with this. Your reply really taught me something I didn't know (again, if I understood it correctly).

Always great to learn these important things!

Finder not showing the accurate space being used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.