Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder doesn't display file sizes

I'm a designer and I probably waste at least 4-5 hours/week having to open files just to see their size because this information won't appear in Finder as it's supposed to.

Doesn't appear in default finder view or preview sidebar

Doesn't appear in More Info mode

Show View Options:

Show Item Info - Checked

Show Preview Options:

Dimensions - checked

Resolution - checked

Color Space - checked

What's even more frustrating is that sometimes it spontaneously does display the information on seemingly random files. Within the same folder, some files will display the dimensions, while others won't. I can't decipher any pattern between those files that do and those that don't.

While taking screenshots for this post: I opened the More Info panel for a file and the dimensions suddenly appeared within the More Info window. After closing More Info, the dimensions appeared beneath the icon, yet the other files still didn't. I opened the More Info panel for those items, and after closing, they also displayed the information. When I navigated to another folder, the information still didn't display or displayed on some (random) items but not others. Opening those files (of which the info didn't display) didn't fix the issue, the information still doesn't appear in any mode.

Restarting Finder doesn't fix this

Restarting/Updating my computer doesn't fix this

My computer is up to date. Now I also have to deal with all of the lastest OS (Ventura 13.3.1) bugs, just because I tried to update in a failed attempt to resolve the issue.

This problem began prior to Ventura. It started sometime during Monterey but has progressively gotten worse to the point that it's significantly impacting my ability to work.

iMac 27″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 4:38 PM

Okay Thanks. I was thinking it might be an issue with Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox etc.

You can try booting into Safe Mode then restart normally. That will sometimes fix anomalies.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

You can also try creating a second user account and see if you have the same issue.

Similar questions

3 replies

Finder doesn't display file sizes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.