Unable to sync mac Mail on iphone 13 with macos 13.4

I have Mail on my iPhone 13 configured exactly the same as on my MacBook Air running on Ventura 13.4.1. Both using IMAP. Yet I cannot see my incoming mail on the phone.

I have a separate mailbox configured to POP which is showing up on the phone (but not synced - when I read the mail on my Mac, it still shows as unread on the phone). (I understand that POP mailboxes cannot be synced).

My IMAP incoming and outgoing server settings are probably incorrect. Incoming server port is configured to 993, outgoing to 465 (same as on my Mac, which is working fine). SSL is enabled. What am I doing wrong?

Posted on Aug 25, 2023 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 8:01 AM

rajiv67 wrote:

I have Mail on my iPhone 13 configured exactly the same as on my MacBook Air running on Ventura 13.4.1. Both using IMAP. Yet I cannot see my incoming mail on the phone.

I have a separate mailbox configured to POP which is showing up on the phone (but not synced - when I read the mail on my Mac, it still shows as unread on the phone). (I understand that POP mailboxes cannot be synced).

My IMAP incoming and outgoing server settings are probably incorrect. Incoming server port is configured to 993, outgoing to 465 (same as on my Mac, which is working fine). SSL is enabled. What am I doing wrong?

POP does not sync

IMAP syncs across devices

You do not say who provides your email...?

The specs are typically list on the web if you need to do something special for port numbers..

ex. iCloud Mail server settings for other email client apps - Apple Support

For problem accounts the go to way to sort things out is to delete the account(s) from the Mail.app, then add it back.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

“On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2023 8:01 AM in response to rajiv67

rajiv67 wrote:

POP does not sync

IMAP syncs across devices

You do not say who provides your email...?

The specs are typically list on the web if you need to do something special for port numbers..

ex. iCloud Mail server settings for other email client apps - Apple Support

For problem accounts the go to way to sort things out is to delete the account(s) from the Mail.app, then add it back.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

“On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Aug 28, 2023 7:43 PM in response to leroydouglas

Very many thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

I use a private mail server (obtained from Register.com). They do have advice on their website regarding setting up mailboxes, port numbers to use etc, which I have followed.

I guess there is no other option but to delete the IMAP Mail account and add it back on both devices (the POP account is not an issue). Email is critical to my business and I have been reluctant to fiddle with it, unless absolutely necessary; I guess the time has come. Thanks again.

Aug 28, 2023 8:18 PM in response to rajiv67

285F4

rajiv67 wrote:

My IMAP incoming and outgoing server settings are probably incorrect. Incoming server port is configured to 993, outgoing to 465 (same as on my Mac, which is working fine). SSL is enables. What am I doing wrong?

Unable to sync mac Mail on iphone 13 with macos 13.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.