Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

New Magic Mouse temporarily disconnects

My Magic Mouse kept freezing temporarily even though it was fully charged and still connected via BT. I tried all the recommended troubleshooting ideas; reconnecting, switch on and off, plug into Mac for 1 minute but in the end decided it was faulty and bought a new Magic Mouse. The new mouse is doing the exact same. I have a 2020 iMac retina running Catalina.. has anyone experienced similar?

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 9:12 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Aug 27, 2023 9:17 AM in response to elliebelliejellie

I don't see any of the usual suspects in the report. However, you do have PACE Anti-Piracy installed and it's not needed and can interfere with system performance.

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This documents describe what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community and Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Uninstall PACE according to the developer's instructions.

Aug 27, 2023 8:46 AM in response to elliebelliejellie

Download and run Etrecheck. Be sure to give it Full Disk access before running.

Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Aug 26, 2023 9:58 AM in response to elliebelliejellie

Hi,

it might be probable that the problem is your iMac, maybe you can try to connect your mouses to a different device ( MacBook, iPad or another iMac) and see if it does the same issue.

if it works fine the problem is the Mac. You can go in every Apple Store or Authorised Apple Resellers in your country and they will find the best option for you.

Andrea

Apr 4, 2024 7:48 AM in response to elliebelliejellie

I have a similar problem but my mouse is the older version with replaceable batteries. I recently bought a magic keyboard to replace my wired Apple keyboard. I almost never had a problem with my mouse disconnecting but since I added the new keyboard it happens at least once a day, usually when I first use the Mac mini. I do have an Apple Watch and iPhone and will see if keeping them distant helps.

New Magic Mouse temporarily disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.