Related Article: If you forgot your Apple ID

Restore my iPod Touch 5th Generation to factory settings

My iPod Touch is 5th generation. I just want to retore it to factory settings to store audible books. I bought it at least 10m years ago and at an ancient age I cannot recall the sign in details. I do not expect Apple cares but I do!

iPod touch

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 10:02 AM

Hi Anniel34, you'll need to follow these instructions If you forgot your iPod touch passcode - Apple Support. After you erase your iPod touch, you can restore your data and settings from backup. If you didn't back up your iPod touch, you can set it up as a new device and then download any data that you have in iCloud.

12 replies

Aug 26, 2023 8:04 PM in response to Anniel34

The fifth gen iPod Touch was subject to Activation Lock and anti-theft feature. To remove Activation Lock you will need the Apple ID and password you used when setting up the iPod. You can retrieve them following these instructions:

Forgot user ID: https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid#!&section=appleid

Forgot password: https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid

For more information on Activation Lock, see: Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Aug 26, 2023 8:06 PM in response to ekassos

Thank you. I did reply but I do not see it. I followed the instructions and it began to work but it was taking an inordinate amount of time to connect to the server to restore the iPod so as this is a 2-3rd world country we have a very unreliable internet service particularly on weekends so I will try again on Monday and report back. Thank you again ekassos.

Aug 28, 2023 10:44 AM in response to bobjbkln

Well I finally found out that the serial number shows that my iPod Touch is 5th generation bought in 2015. So I now have the activation lock problem. I know my current Apple ID and Password but naturally I do not know the details of my 2015 Apple ID nor the password. I am not that skilled and at my age everything takes time!

Restore my iPod Touch 5th Generation to factory settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.