Mail I put in the trash totally disappears.

I'm using an iMac with Big Sur v11.7.9. Recently, for no reason I can see, all email I put in the Trash immediately disappears -- not waiting to delete after one month, as I have it set up. This problem seems to be quite new! I have three different email accounts, and this is happening with them all. However, the items I've trashed do appear in the Trash bin on my iPhone XR and iPad Air. (thank goodness...but I do 99% of my work on the iMac).

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2023 7:10 PM

The Trash mailbox database on your Mac may have been corrupted. To fix it please refer to Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support.

You can rebuild any Mailbox, or all Mailboxes, including each individual Inbox, All Inboxes, Sent, Outbox, Trash, Junk, etc. Select Trash at first, but you can rebuild all of them if you so choose.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2023 7:10 PM in response to Gwynedd

The Trash mailbox database on your Mac may have been corrupted. To fix it please refer to Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support.

You can rebuild any Mailbox, or all Mailboxes, including each individual Inbox, All Inboxes, Sent, Outbox, Trash, Junk, etc. Select Trash at first, but you can rebuild all of them if you so choose.

Mail I put in the trash totally disappears.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.