Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple mail trash fold missing

In Apple Mail, I set the trash folder to "Deleted Messages" (under account preferences) but they actually go into a folder named "Trash". They do not go into the "Deleted Messages" folder. The Trash folder does not appear on my mac, but it shows up in the Trash folder on my iPhone or the iCloud webmail interface. If I go to the Favorites drop-down, I can show the folder "Trash - iCloud", but the deleted messages don't go there either.

I previously saw a post that said to disable iCloud mail on my Mac, restart the Mac and then re-enable iCloud mail. But that did not work either.

I am using Monterey 12.5

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2022 9:20 AM

griegolson wrote:

In Apple Mail, I set the trash folder to "Deleted Messages" (under account preferences) but they actually go into a folder named "Trash". They do not go into the "Deleted Messages" folder. The Trash folder does not appear on my mac, but it shows up in the Trash folder on my iPhone or the iCloud webmail interface. If I go to the Favorites drop-down, I can show the folder "Trash - iCloud", but the deleted messages don't go there either.

I previously saw a post that said to disable iCloud mail on my Mac, restart the Mac and then re-enable iCloud mail. But that did not work either.

I am using Monterey 12.5

Old issue, new issue, what changed...?

In Mail Preferences>Accounts>Server Settings the default "Deleted Messages" is the Trash Folder

You can customize add or delete item in Favorites

Move your mouse to the right side to expose the + or spin dropdown carrot

You can Control click for more options...

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2022 9:20 AM in response to griegolson

griegolson wrote:

I am using Monterey 12.5

Old issue, new issue, what changed...?

In Mail Preferences>Accounts>Server Settings the default "Deleted Messages" is the Trash Folder

You can customize add or delete item in Favorites

Move your mouse to the right side to expose the + or spin dropdown carrot

You can Control click for more options...

Mail User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Aug 6, 2022 12:07 PM in response to griegolson

griegolson wrote:

Yes, I can see All Trash. There are two folders there: iCloud and On My Mac. Both of these folders are empty. But the trash folder on my iPhone or on the webmail interface have my deleted messages.

I have also tried rebuilding the mailbox. No luck.

Can you toggle changes to to preference then come back to the preferred settings....and compare your results

I will say For problem accounts— the go to way to sort things out is to delete the account, then add it back.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Aug 4, 2022 4:51 PM in response to griegolson

griegolson wrote:

This reply is not helpful.
I have set the trash folder to "Deleted Messages", but deleted messages do not go there. They go into the "Trash" folder. But the "Trash" folder does not show up on my Mac; it only shows up on my iPhone or on the webmail interface.

When I tred to add a mailbox called "Trash" to my favorites, it didn't work. I got a message that it could not be created because it already exists. But it doesn't show up in my favorites, or anyplace else in the Mail program.

Do you see an All Trash mailbox in favorites...(?)

If not add that and compare your results. Same deal spin the carrot to see individual account mailboxes

Aug 4, 2022 4:29 PM in response to leroydouglas

This reply is not helpful.

I have set the trash folder to "Deleted Messages", but deleted messages do not go there. They go into the "Trash" folder. But the "Trash" folder does not show up on my Mac; it only shows up on my iPhone or on the webmail interface.

When I tred to add a mailbox called "Trash" to my favorites, it didn't work. I got a message that it could not be created because it already exists. But it doesn't show up in my favorites, or anyplace else in the Mail program.

Apple mail trash fold missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.