Switching phones

I’m confused.

im intending to buy a new iPhone 13. I have an iphone6. I was just checking if when I take out the SIM to put in new phone would the apps still be active on the old phone. Looking at past replies the answer is yes as the apps are not stored on the SIM. So for example my work email would still be active on the old phone. So what is confusing is how do the apps transfer to the new phone ?

iPhone 6s, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 12:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 2:10 AM

Apps don't transfer from iPhone to iPhone, only the app data along with app links to the App Store gets transferred.

After the transfer is complete (Quick Transfer, iCloud, or iTunes) depending on the internet speed all apps will get downloaded from the App Store automatically. If an App does not exist anymore in the App Store or the iOS version is not compatible with the App then the App data that is transferred cannot be accessed any further.

Apps & Settings --> Apart from the Apps following will also not get transferred.

1. Content from the iTunes and App Stores or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  2. Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  3. Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
  4. Face ID or Touch ID settings
  5. Apple Pay information and settings
  6. Apple Mail data
  7. Apple Music

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2023 2:10 AM in response to AmazingAugust

Apps don't transfer from iPhone to iPhone, only the app data along with app links to the App Store gets transferred.

After the transfer is complete (Quick Transfer, iCloud, or iTunes) depending on the internet speed all apps will get downloaded from the App Store automatically. If an App does not exist anymore in the App Store or the iOS version is not compatible with the App then the App data that is transferred cannot be accessed any further.

Apps & Settings --> Apart from the Apps following will also not get transferred.

1. Content from the iTunes and App Stores or PDFs downloaded directly to Apple Books
  2. Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  3. Data already stored in iCloud, like iCloud Photos, iMessages, and text (SMS) and multimedia (MMS) messages
  4. Face ID or Touch ID settings
  5. Apple Pay information and settings
  6. Apple Mail data
  7. Apple Music

Switching phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.