Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Apple heath app respiratory

Why are there gaps in the respiratory rate chart vertical bars?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2023 6:24 PM

I, too, would like to know what these different colors and gaps in the vertical bars mean. Is there a legend? I have searched the internet but have not yet found an explanation.

4 replies

Aug 28, 2023 7:08 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for your reply.

I am using the Apple Health App. I understand it measures breathing rate at regular intervals and saves as a series of data points. I do not understand how this data is displayed by the Apple Health app.

Why are there breaks in the vertical bars? Why are some vertical bars blue and gray? What does the length of the vertical bar signify?

Dec 17, 2023 3:36 PM in response to SravanKrA

As mentioned above, I am using Apple's Health App that comes standard with iOS and features respiratory measurements.

I understand the nature of gaps due to sampling in digital circuits. Digital circuits sample sensors based on a sequence of particular edges of a sampling clock. The edges come at regular intervals and are NOT continuous. The clock rate must meet the conditions of Shannon's Theorem and the Nyquist frequency in order to sample enough to reasonably recreate the sampled signal. Nevertheless, the sampled signal is not sampled continuously which would imply a clock with infinite number of edges per any unit time.

That's why there are gaps relative to time.

What the Apple Health App is showing are also multiple data values and gaps in the vertical direction, at discrete points of time. It is these vertical values and gaps that we are asking about. My latest speculation is that Apple is attempting to "collapse" multiple measurements taken at several clock edges and lumping them at less frequent clock edges. Is that correct?

Also, others have asked about the blue versus grey VERTICAL bars as shown in the figures above. What do the difference in colors represent?

Kind regards,

MOTj

Aug 27, 2023 5:35 AM in response to steveweree

Which app are you using for this?

The Respiratory app operates by consistently monitoring the respiratory rate, which is often denoted as breaths per minute (br/min). This continuous measurement allows for accurate and real-time tracking of an individual's breathing pattern. As a result, the data captured by the app provides a comprehensive and up-to-date representation of the user's respiratory activity.

When the respiratory rate is measured discretely, the chart that displays this data will accurately reflect the discrete measurements taken over specific time intervals. In this context, discrete measurements refer to periodically recorded values at distinct points in time. Consequently, the chart would show a series of data points, each corresponding to a particular measurement of respiratory rate captured during those intervals.

On the other hand, the app's continuous measurement approach captures a stream of data points over time, without any gaps or interruptions. This results in a smoother and more continuous representation of the respiratory rate on the chart. The advantage of continuous monitoring is that it provides a more detailed insight into the user's breathing patterns, highlighting fluctuations, trends, and changes that might otherwise be missed in a discrete measurement setup.

Apple heath app respiratory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.