Time Machine Backup Problems

I recently updated my MacBook Pro (2017 model) from the current older iOS Sierra to the latest iOS Ventura 13.5.1. I have never had any issues doing my regular backups with my Seagate backup drive for Mac but now suddenly after this upgrade my MacBook will no longer recognize this same backup drive nor let me do backups. Would this be do to my updating from Sierra to Ventura or would this be an internal problem? I've tried a few different backup drives with new connections and all say the same thing - no backup drive connected. Please help/advise what I need to do; I want to protect my files, photos etc on this MacBook.

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 7:48 AM

In macOS 13 and some of the older versions like macOS 12 Monterey and macOS 11 Big Sur.

Time Machine Backup expects the drive to be formatted in the newer drive format APFS with the GUID Partition Map

Links below on formatting External Drives

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2023 7:48 AM in response to jennie72LHS

In macOS 13 and some of the older versions like macOS 12 Monterey and macOS 11 Big Sur.

Time Machine Backup expects the drive to be formatted in the newer drive format APFS with the GUID Partition Map

Links below on formatting External Drives

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Time Machine Backup Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.