How do I prevent others from logging in to my daughter's AirTag ?

My daughter has an AirTag on her at college. Her friend was able to log into her AirTag and have it make noise and track her. How do I prevent this from happening?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

AirTag

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 11:22 AM

An AirTag is NOT designed for tracking people.

I am assuming that you initially set up this AirTag with your iPhone and it is associated with your Apple ID ... and that your daughter has her own Apple ID ... correct?

If so, then the AirTag is working as designed. That is, once the AirTag is no longer within Bluetooth range (around 30-40') from your iPhone, it will start beeping on a certain interval. In addition, if another iPhone is nearby, that phone will be notified that there is an AirTag present. They then can cause it to make a sound so that they can locate it. Furthermore, if this AirTag is on your daughter, AND she has an iPhone or Android phone, she will be notified that there is an AirTag following her.

How can you prevent this? Don't use it for tracking! It's that simple. If knowing her location is important to you, AND she has an iPhone, you can locate her iPhone (thus her) with it, through the Find My app.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2023 11:22 AM in response to Spk790

An AirTag is NOT designed for tracking people.

I am assuming that you initially set up this AirTag with your iPhone and it is associated with your Apple ID ... and that your daughter has her own Apple ID ... correct?

If so, then the AirTag is working as designed. That is, once the AirTag is no longer within Bluetooth range (around 30-40') from your iPhone, it will start beeping on a certain interval. In addition, if another iPhone is nearby, that phone will be notified that there is an AirTag present. They then can cause it to make a sound so that they can locate it. Furthermore, if this AirTag is on your daughter, AND she has an iPhone or Android phone, she will be notified that there is an AirTag following her.

How can you prevent this? Don't use it for tracking! It's that simple. If knowing her location is important to you, AND she has an iPhone, you can locate her iPhone (thus her) with it, through the Find My app.

Aug 27, 2023 1:59 PM in response to Spk790

Spk790 wrote:
if AirTags are used to track things in general it doesn’t make sense they would hook up with someone else’s iPhone.

That certainly makes sense, unless if a nefarious person is using them to track someone. Apple is trying to discourage this type of use by providing these notifications.

... so can you imagine if someone placed one on you, or in your car for example, without your knowledge. Wouldn't you want to know that it is there? Unfortunately, we can't control those who want to misuse these tags. We can only be notified when they do. Also, FWIW, some even go through the trouble of removing the tag's internal speaker to make it less obvious ... but doesn't stop the notifications.

You mention your daugher has an Android phone. This may be a good time to consider getting an iPhone. Not tryng to push an Apple product on you, but this would solve not having to rely on using an AirTag to locate her.

How do I prevent others from logging in to my daughter's AirTag ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.