Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My iPad charging port is loose and won’t charge unless I put something under the cord to make contact.

I took the iPad to a repair store and they said they couldn’t fix it. The charging port is loose and the charging cord doesn’t make good contact. I have to put something under the charging cord to get good contact. Can this be fixed?

iPad Pro

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 1:26 PM

You can establish repair cost in your country/region here:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

You can use Apple’s mail-in repair service, or you can arrange repair via the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

For practical purposes, Apple usually exchange the iPad for a renewed/refurbished iPad of the same model and specification. The cost of the exchange is the same as would otherwise be charged for repair. When exchanged, the replacement iPad is yours to keep.

Whether or not the cost of repair is cost effective can only be determined by you. The repair cost represents a considerable proportion of the cost of a replacement device. Many here would argue that this money would be better spent towards a newer and more capable model.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2023 1:26 PM in response to 6-10-53

You can establish repair cost in your country/region here:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

You can use Apple’s mail-in repair service, or you can arrange repair via the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

For practical purposes, Apple usually exchange the iPad for a renewed/refurbished iPad of the same model and specification. The cost of the exchange is the same as would otherwise be charged for repair. When exchanged, the replacement iPad is yours to keep.

Whether or not the cost of repair is cost effective can only be determined by you. The repair cost represents a considerable proportion of the cost of a replacement device. Many here would argue that this money would be better spent towards a newer and more capable model.

Aug 27, 2023 3:41 PM in response to 6-10-53

So take it to an Apple Store Genius Bar and have them look at it. They will be able to determine if it was caused by misuse or if it is just a defect and they will take care of it if it’s under warranty and it’s determined to be a defect. If it was caused by misuse then they won’t cover it, and they’ll let you know what it will cost to be fixed. If you can’t get to an Apple Store because you don’t have one near you, you can call Apple Support and they can walk you through the steps of getting it shipped to them so that they can look at it and let you know what will happen from that point.

Aug 27, 2023 1:56 PM in response to 6-10-53

6-10-53 wrote:

I bought it from the Apple Store last October. It’s a refurbished generation 7.

Well then it should still be under the 1 year warranty which is included for all refurbished products bought directly from Apple. Take it back to the Apple Store you bought it from. Unless, of course, you caused the damage yourself. Accidental damage is not covered by the standard warranty.

My iPad charging port is loose and won’t charge unless I put something under the cord to make contact.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.