Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Command N stops working in all apps until restart (recurring issue for years)

At some point in time, Command N for new window stops working for all apps until I restart the computer. This issue has hounded me for years over multiple versions of MacOS. I don't restart my computer too often, so at some point, something happens were I simply can't use the keyboard shortcut to open a new window in any app that I have open including the Finder. After restart, Command N works find again for days until it doesn't.

I can still open a new window by using my trackpad and clicking in the File menu.

I know I have to restart on a regular basis, but I just really want to know why this happens!

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 7:17 AM

Stephen Abronson wrote:

(recurring issue for years)

At some point in time, Command N for new window stops working for all apps until I restart the computer. This issue has hounded me for years over multiple versions of MacOS. I don't restart my computer too often, so at some point, something happens were I simply can't use the keyboard shortcut to open a new window in any app that I have open including the Finder. After restart, Command N works find again for days until it doesn't.

I can still open a new window by using my trackpad and clicking in the File menu.

I know I have to restart on a regular basis, but I just really want to know why this happens!

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2023 7:17 AM in response to Stephen Abronson

Stephen Abronson wrote:

(recurring issue for years)

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Command N stops working in all apps until restart (recurring issue for years)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.