locked MacBook Air

My MacBook is locked and I’m not sure how I can factory reset it or if I even can.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2023 4:42 PM

This one:

It means that Mac has been locked with a firmware password.

If you do not know that password, then it was set by someone else. If you purchased that Mac new and you have a dated sales receipt Apple can unlock it for you. Read Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support.

Excerpt:

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

Apple will insist upon that proof of purchase. If you did not buy that Mac, ask the person who did.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2023 4:42 PM in response to nisa293

This one:

It means that Mac has been locked with a firmware password.

If you do not know that password, then it was set by someone else. If you purchased that Mac new and you have a dated sales receipt Apple can unlock it for you. Read Set a firmware password on your Mac - Apple Support.

Excerpt:

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

Apple will insist upon that proof of purchase. If you did not buy that Mac, ask the person who did.

locked MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.