Charged for a free trial - how can I get a refund?

I was charged immediately when I started a free trial in an app.

I should have had 3 days free before being charged.

I’ve tried reportaproblem.com but I can’t request a refund as the purchase is still showing as ‘pending’ because I’m in the trial period.

The money has already been taken from my account.

In Settings > Subscriptions it states “You're in a 3-day free trial.

Starting 31 August, your plan will renew for the regular price of $7.99 every week until cancelled.

You will not be charged during your trial.

Plan automatically renews for $7.99 every week starting 31 August unless you cancel at least one day before.”.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 5:50 AM

I’ve been charged for a free trial.

Charged by Apple?

If you have received an invoice from Apple, on every invoice from the Apple Store and/or iTunes Store always states what you have purchased (and/or concerns a subscription) and the amount.

Tap on Report a problem on the invoice.

Then you can choose an option:

Or try to ->  Request a refund for apps or content that you bought from Apple.

Request a refund for apps or content you've bought from Apple – Apple Support (UK)

If you have requested a refund, you must wait until Apple has approved. Then you will receive a message from Apple.

Refunds are not guaranteed. For more information, see the Terms & Conditions.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2023 5:50 AM in response to LisaVW

Charged by Apple?

If you have received an invoice from Apple, on every invoice from the Apple Store and/or iTunes Store always states what you have purchased (and/or concerns a subscription) and the amount.

Tap on Report a problem on the invoice.

Then you can choose an option:

Or try to ->  Request a refund for apps or content that you bought from Apple.

Request a refund for apps or content you've bought from Apple – Apple Support (UK)

If you have requested a refund, you must wait until Apple has approved. Then you will receive a message from Apple.

Refunds are not guaranteed. For more information, see the Terms & Conditions.

Aug 28, 2023 3:46 AM in response to LisaVW

the purchase is still showing as ‘pending’

Pending purchases indicate a purchase that was unable to be charged successfully to your valid payment method on file or Apple Account balance, as such you are responsible for that purchase, and must allow it to successfully complete before anything else can be done.

If you can't make purchases or update apps, including free apps, you may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free.

See -> Add a payment method to your Apple ID

Add a payment method to your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

• If you want to change your card, add first the new card, then remove the old one.
  • or if you want use your Apple ID balance, you need to set your Apple ID balance as your default payment.

See also ⤵️

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

FYI: Not all credit & debit cards seem to work with App Store / iTunes Store, try a different one, or preferably a credit card. If your card is not accepted as a paymenf method, you need to contact your bank.

Add money to your Apple Account balance -> Add money to your Apple Account balance - Apple Support

If you have set your Apple Account balance as your default payment method, your default payment method will be used first by Apple when you need to make a payment.

Some purchases might require you to have a credit card on file, even if you use your Apple Account balance to make the purchase.

-----

I was charged immediately

Do you received an invoice from Apple?

If you still need help, get support from Apple directly -> Get Support or call Apple in your region see -> Contact Apple for support and service or check -> here for more support and assistance.

Aug 28, 2023 4:50 AM in response to LisaVW

I received an email invoice from Apple which states:

Trial Free for 3 days, starting 28 August 2023 Subscription Price$7.99/week, starting 31 August 2023

Your subscription automatically renews until cancelled.  To avoid being charged, you must cancel at least one day before each renewal date.

So, start here:

If an app has a subscription associated with it, see -> Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -> Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

• If you delete an app, it doesn’t cancel in-app subscriptions that you might have. While deleting an app, you might see a Cancel Subscriptions option. Learn how to cancel your subscriptions.

If you don't want to continue a subscription you need always to cancel that subscription in time, see the following Apple articles:

If you want to cancel a subscription from Apple

If you want to cancel a subscription from Apple - Apple Support

If the subscription that you want to cancel is not listed

If the subscription that you want to cancel is not listed – Apple Support (UK)

The payment has definitely been taken via PayPal.

I do not use PayPal myself, please check here :

https://www.paypal.com/us/cshelp/article/how-do-i-view-my-paypal-debit-card-transaction-history-help139#:~:text=You%20can%20view%20your%20transaction,corner%20of%20your%20Activity%20page.

Aug 28, 2023 3:45 AM in response to LisaVW

Refer to this document for ways to contact Apple ➞ Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support

Select your country (also look for "other" regions), then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone ➞ Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Aug 28, 2023 4:43 AM in response to Raicya

The payment has definitely been taken via PayPal.

I received an email invoice from Apple which states:

Trial Free for 3 days, starting 28 August 2023 Subscription Price$7.99/week, starting 31 August 2023

Your subscription automatically renews until cancelled.  To avoid being charged, you must cancel at least one day before each renewal date.

It’s buggy.

1. I shouldn’t have been charged until after the free trail.
  2. I can’t use ReportaProblem website because it doesn’t acknowledge that I’ve made the purchase.

Aug 28, 2023 5:09 AM in response to Raicya

Raicya you are missing the point.

Ive already cancelled the subscription in Settings > Subscriptions, but this hasn’t refunded the money I was wrongly taken when I signed up for the free trial.

Apple don’t have a way for me to request a refund because it doesn’t recognise that I r made a purchase.

This is a bug.

Charged for a free trial - how can I get a refund?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.