3G Disappeared

My iPhone - 13

Wife's iPhone - XR

Carrier: Koodo Mobile, both phones

A few weeks ago I seen I had an update to complete which was to IOS 16.6. Upon doing this I lost my 3G coverage on my phone. It shows only 4G, 5G. That is no good as 5G is not in my area yet and 4G LTE does not work that well yet. 3G is still a thing here in Canada and has no shutdown date as per Rogers and Bell (I know this as i am in the industry).

My wifes phone has 3G and my fathers phone does as well (Virgin Mobile, not sure on model). Apple's self help says to contact your carrier but if my wife can get it and my father can get it, that would indicate that it was the update that would have caused this issue.

I need 3G back, please advise how to do this safely. Without losing everything i have on my phone.

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 12:02 PM

8 replies

Aug 29, 2023 10:27 AM in response to Crash2001

Hi Crash2001,

It sounds like you have questions about your cellular carrier features on your iPhone. If so, as found in the article here Wireless carrier support and features for iPhone in the United States and Canada the 5G network is:

"Available with iPhone 14, iPhone 13, iPhone SE (3rd generation), and iPhone 12 models. Data plan required. Speeds vary based on site conditions and network provider. For details on 5G support, contact your network provider."

While there isn't an option to downgrade the iOS version on your iPhone you can make sure your carrier settings are updated as it may help with your connection issues. Manually update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad

You can also check your coverage area with the steps below found in this article: If you see No Service, Searching, or SOS on your iPhone or iPad

"Check your coverage area

• Make sure that you're in an area with cellular network coverage.
  • Turn cellular data off and then back on again. Go to Settings, then tap Cellular or Mobile Data. If you're using an iPad, you might see Settings > Cellular Data.
  • If you're traveling internationally, make sure that your device is set up for data roaming. Go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Data Roaming.

Top part of an iPhone screen showing cellular settings

"

There's also helpful information on what is available here: View or change cellular data settings on iPhone - Apple Support

If you have additional questions reach out to your carrier or Apple Support directly to further assist.

Get Support

Cheers.

Sep 29, 2023 1:13 PM in response to dibakar144

dibakar144 wrote:

He is saying a different thing and you are replying to a different thing.
The problem is Apple has discontinued the option 3g in cellular network settings.And it only shows (5G auto, 5G on,4G) in spite of (5G auto,5G on ,4g,3g)
And we want to connect to 3g.

Apple doesn't control that. The carrier does. New version of iOS also include carrier updates.

Sep 29, 2023 1:35 PM in response to dibakar144

dibakar144 wrote:

An apple device with ios 16.1 is showing all the options including 3g.
And an Apple device with 17.0.2 is not showing the option 3g.
Then how can you say that this is caused by the network provider and Apple hasn’t done that intentionally..

When you updated to iOS 17.0.2, you also installed new carrier settings (as I said above). You don't have any choice in the matter. The carrier provides them to Apple who pushes them out along with the iOS update.

Rarely, you'll get a notification of new carrier settings at other times.

3G Disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.