If I change my mobile number how do I change it on my Apple ID? If I try to change it, Apple sends a verification code to my old number

1. I change my mobile number
  2. I attempt to update my mobile number on my Apple ID
  3. Apple sends a verification code to my old number
  4. I select ‘can’t use this number’
  5. Apple says ‘Enter a different number’
  6. I enter my new mobile number
  7. Apple sends a verification code for my new mobile number… to my old mobile number
  8. There’s a hole in my bucket…

iPad Pro

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 5:38 AM

It is designed so that you do this before it is too late to use the old number. Apple is confirming it is you by trying to send a code to the number that it knows is yours before it will let just anybody who may have found your account information lying around somewhere change it to a new number. If you find you can’t sign in, reset your password, or receive verification codes, you can request account recovery (go to this document: How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support ) to regain access to your account. Account recovery might take a few days or longer, depending on the specific account information you can provide to verify your identity.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2023 5:38 AM in response to Dublin6192

It is designed so that you do this before it is too late to use the old number. Apple is confirming it is you by trying to send a code to the number that it knows is yours before it will let just anybody who may have found your account information lying around somewhere change it to a new number. If you find you can’t sign in, reset your password, or receive verification codes, you can request account recovery (go to this document: How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support ) to regain access to your account. Account recovery might take a few days or longer, depending on the specific account information you can provide to verify your identity.

Aug 29, 2023 5:47 AM in response to Limnos

No offence but that's ridiculous. Apple have several ways of verifying identity, including email.

I also went through 'account recovery' with TWO Apple staff yesterday, and every avenue we went down, led to Apple trying to send a verification code to my old number. Both the staff were as flabbergasted as I.

Finally, I was told to leave it overnight and a support person would call me at 8.15 this morning.

I received a text (to my new number) at 8.30am, saying they were unable to contact me - on my old number.

The issue is STILL not resolved, and I am extremely frustrated and dissatisfied with Apple support. I really do not know what to do next.

Aug 30, 2023 11:52 AM in response to Limnos

Limnos, I honestly do understand that, and I reached out in the hope that someone out there, beyond Apple employees (who have this far been unable to provide a solution), might be able to help me.

You are the only person who has responded, and I thank you for that.

I remain, frustrated and without a solution, but still with hope...

All the best to you, and thank you.

If I change my mobile number how do I change it on my Apple ID? If I try to change it, Apple sends a verification code to my old number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.