cannot set up son's apple watch to family share, apple id is different from apple id already in family share

I have an apple watch we purchased for our son, we have a phone number through Verizon, we have not been able to use it and set it up for my son so that I can track him. I can now call him and he can call me. But cannot assign him to family share since his apple watch apple id is already set up, and I cannot set him up as a family share member with an already existing apple id, and I did set up a family share id for him, I put a request in to delete that apple id. I believe my husband also has another apple id set up in his family share , if I am not wrong. We just want to be able to connect his apple watch to a family share plan so we can track him and contact him. Any help would be great, we both just cannot figure it out, it seems like it is much harder than it should be.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 9:47 AM

If he already has an Apple ID (set to over 13 year of age), then just invite the Apple ID to the family sharing group instead creating an entirely new one. There's no reason to be creating new Apple IDs every time you get a device.

click here ➜ Set up Family Sharing - Invite - Apple Support

If his current Apple ID is set to under 13 years of age and as such alreayd part of another family sharing group, then you will need to have the Apple Id transferred to the Family sharing group you want him to be in.

click here ➜ Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2023 9:47 AM in response to jco919

If he already has an Apple ID (set to over 13 year of age), then just invite the Apple ID to the family sharing group instead creating an entirely new one. There's no reason to be creating new Apple IDs every time you get a device.

click here ➜ Set up Family Sharing - Invite - Apple Support

If his current Apple ID is set to under 13 years of age and as such alreayd part of another family sharing group, then you will need to have the Apple Id transferred to the Family sharing group you want him to be in.

click here ➜ Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support

cannot set up son's apple watch to family share, apple id is different from apple id already in family share

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.