connect external scanner to an ipad

I am thinking of replacing my MacBook Pro, it is an old one from 2011. One of the biggest things I do with my MacBook Pro is to connect an external scanner and scan in documents and photos through high resolution dots per inch.

is it possible to connect any kind of external scanner to an iPad? Does such an interface or technology exist?

I do not want to use the internal notes photo scan option for these really old photos. Some of the photos are tiny and I want to use a high dpi for scanning.

do iPads have an option to connect to any existing external photo scanners?

thanks!

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 9:54 AM

That would depend entirely on the Scanner's manufacturer. If they offer an App that can directly interface with the scanner connected through the iPad's charge port or Wirelessly.

There is no native, built in way to do so

Contact the Scanner manufacturer and see if they support iPads, and if they offer a specific app for it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2023 9:54 AM in response to Texas_Man_Luvs_His_mac

That would depend entirely on the Scanner's manufacturer. If they offer an App that can directly interface with the scanner connected through the iPad's charge port or Wirelessly.

There is no native, built in way to do so

Contact the Scanner manufacturer and see if they support iPads, and if they offer a specific app for it.

Aug 29, 2023 9:57 AM in response to Texas_Man_Luvs_His_mac

iPad and iPadOS do not natively support wired USB connection to Printers or Scanners. Similarly, iOS/iPadOS does not support stand-alone installation of device-drivers. The only method by which driver-software can be installed is to install a manufacturer-supplied App.

As such, you will need to identify a scanner that has an available App that can be installed from the App Store.

connect external scanner to an ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.