Apple wireless keyboard alert "wireless keyboard very low"

Keyboard warning now "wireless keyboard very low". I would have expected a pre-warning before it gets "very low" i.e, keyboard needs charging soon or something like that. Am I just missing it , a pre-warning?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 11:19 AM

You may get a notification when the keyboard battery level drops to around 2%. If this is an Apple Magic Keyboard, plug it into a power source and continue using it as it recharges. Otherwise, replace the batteries if so configured.

Copy and paste the following into the Terminal application, followed by a return. It will show the percentage value at which you will receive a low battery notification and the current battery percentage. If you have an Apple Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard in use, it will show these values in that order:

ioreg -r -l -k "BatteryPercent" | grep -io '("LowBatteryNotificationPercentage"|"BatteryPercent") = \d+'

On my 2023 M2 Mac Mini Pro with Ventura 13.5.1 and both Magic Keyboard and mouse connected, this is my result, again with the keyboard shown first and the mouse second.

"LowBatteryNotificationPercentage" = 2

"BatteryPercent" = 96

"BatteryPercent" = 93

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2023 11:19 AM in response to porkypiglet

You may get a notification when the keyboard battery level drops to around 2%. If this is an Apple Magic Keyboard, plug it into a power source and continue using it as it recharges. Otherwise, replace the batteries if so configured.

Copy and paste the following into the Terminal application, followed by a return. It will show the percentage value at which you will receive a low battery notification and the current battery percentage. If you have an Apple Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard in use, it will show these values in that order:

ioreg -r -l -k "BatteryPercent" | grep -io '("LowBatteryNotificationPercentage"|"BatteryPercent") = \d+'

On my 2023 M2 Mac Mini Pro with Ventura 13.5.1 and both Magic Keyboard and mouse connected, this is my result, again with the keyboard shown first and the mouse second.

"BatteryPercent" = 96

"BatteryPercent" = 93

Aug 29, 2023 11:44 AM in response to VikingOSX

I did receive the notification but it was when the keyboard had only 3% battery power. What I would like is a notification before it gets down so low. The same ting happened to DH when his iMac Keyboard was low, he was only onformed when it got to 2%. I would thin one would receive a prior notifcation before the keyboards get down that low - Maybe at 30-50% or something like that. I do see the percentage on my bluetooth icon but, again, I would think a notification prior to a "danger" point ahead of time would be a resonable expectation. Oh Apple.....sigh....

Aug 29, 2023 12:26 PM in response to porkypiglet

There is no such "advance" notification available in macOS for when battery percentages are at arbitrary double digits. One would have to write a script to get that information, and a Launch Agent daemon to run that script at some user defined time frequency (e.g. 15 or 30 minutes) and then pop a dialog informing that the battery discharge has reached nn%, time to charge.

I wrote something like that a few years back which worked then, but have not tested it since.

Something simpler is to mentally adapt yourself to looking at the Apple device Bluetooth charges from the menu extras menu bar at some interval (e.g. morning, noon, evening) and charge the Bluetooth devices as necessary. The Magic Mouse gets put on an AC charger while I sleep.

Apple wireless keyboard alert "wireless keyboard very low"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.