Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Wireless keyboard (AA batteries) "ghost in the machine"

Older apple wireless keyboard (AA batteries) used with 2014 Mac air, Big Sur 11.2.3

I have used the keyboard with this device for years.

Lately, it's as if another person is typing on the keyboard very randomly. First notice the volume/mute button going on and off. Then random beeping noises (as if Big sur is telling me I shouldn't ht the key again). If I disconnect the keyboard the computer operates normally.

I have changed batteries, deleted the blue tooth connection more than once.

Suggestions?

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 12, 2021 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 8:33 AM

That's a new one. Some considerations:

1) Remove the batteries, allow the board to sit without them and then reinstall, preferable using fresh batteries.

2) Although a long shot, you can also try an SMC reset on the computer in case something in the management controller that handles Bluetooth is acting out. instructions here:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

[NOTE: You computer does not have the T2 security ship mentioned at the top of the article,so skip that part.]

3) Also see this article on interference with wireless signals:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

There is a decent chance that some other device on or near your workstation—a phone, wireless printer, wireless speakers, etc— is interfering with the signals between the board and your Mac.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2021 8:33 AM in response to jackbootthug

That's a new one. Some considerations:

1) Remove the batteries, allow the board to sit without them and then reinstall, preferable using fresh batteries.

2) Although a long shot, you can also try an SMC reset on the computer in case something in the management controller that handles Bluetooth is acting out. instructions here:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

[NOTE: You computer does not have the T2 security ship mentioned at the top of the article,so skip that part.]

3) Also see this article on interference with wireless signals:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

There is a decent chance that some other device on or near your workstation—a phone, wireless printer, wireless speakers, etc— is interfering with the signals between the board and your Mac.

Apple Wireless keyboard (AA batteries) "ghost in the machine"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.