Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a brand new 2020 Mac mini, I also picked up the full wireless keyboard a magicMouse2. But Im having constant issues with the keyboard and mouse disconnecting. I am less then a metre from my Mac. Batteries in both are above 90%.

I am less then a metre from my Mac.

Batteries in both devices are above 90%.

Usually happens if I haven't moved them in a short period. I have not had them just disconnect in the middle of typing something or moving the mouse, only when Ive just stopped reading something, or a video has finished, and the **** things have disconnected again. Clicking and tapping on them to wake them up and connect again.

Really annoying.

Mac mini 2020, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4

Bluetooth 7.0.4f6

Its seeing my IPhone, My MacBook Air, iWatch, Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad, System Administrator’s Mouse, Apple TV, iPad. via bluetooth

Posted on May 5, 2020 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 10:26 PM

So the bluetooth connection to the keyboard and mouse must be quite fragile, but it appears that my problem with the devices constantly disconnecting was a bad ethernet cable, must have been creating some radio noise.

Tired disconnecting everything and this and the HDMI connector were the last things to go. I tried an ethernet cable with some better shielding, and I have not had the keyboard or the mouse disconnect now unexpectedly in two days.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2020 10:26 PM in response to Mista2

So the bluetooth connection to the keyboard and mouse must be quite fragile, but it appears that my problem with the devices constantly disconnecting was a bad ethernet cable, must have been creating some radio noise.

Tired disconnecting everything and this and the HDMI connector were the last things to go. I tried an ethernet cable with some better shielding, and I have not had the keyboard or the mouse disconnect now unexpectedly in two days.

Jun 18, 2020 1:33 PM in response to Mista2

I bought my Mac Mini about 2 months ago and continue to have issues with my Apple Mouse and Apple Keyboard. It seemed to get better when I had the Mac on the other side of my L-shaped desk away from everything else. What's the point of a big desk when you can put anything on it though right? It wasn't 100% better but more manageable. Not what I would expect for something that costs over $1,000 from a so called innovative trillion dollar company.

From everything I have read, this has been a problem since at least 2018 and it's due to interference from the USB cables running out of the computer. I have a small hub that I moved as far as I could and it helps. Unfortunately I am downsizing my space and decided to use my TV has a monitor and my TV stand to hold the computer. The interference is terrible, my Apple keyboard doesn't register at startup sometimes. It took about 10 minutes for the computer to find it on a could occasions.

I have also read that using the USB C/Thunderbolt ports instead of the USB 3.0 helps but I don't have a hub that is USB C hub so I can't verify. That is something I will look into though.

Wish you all luck figuring this out and wishing even more that Apple would actually fix the issue after 2 years.

Jun 18, 2020 3:12 PM in response to metalsithlord

I was wondering about that. The antenna seems to be in the base? I really started noticing it after I managed to get the display (4K over HDMI) to to 60Hz. I have the monitors USB port connected to one port, and I have the lightning cables to charge the keyboard and mouse, and a webcam connected to the monitors USB. I could see if switching that to the USB3-Displayport changes anything.

Also under the new Mini I also have my old 2011 mac mini, now doing duty as a headless server. (I just use TeamViewer to get to it.) I'm also going to try disabling wifi and bluetooth on the old mac, and see if that was just causing too much noise in the bluetooth bandwidth. Maybe the powersaving on the keyboard and mouse is just to aggressive.

I have a brand new 2020 Mac mini, I also picked up the full wireless keyboard a magicMouse2. But Im having constant issues with the keyboard and mouse disconnecting. I am less then a metre from my Mac. Batteries in both are above 90%.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.