Losing access to my Apple ID email address

I will soon lose access to the email address I use as my Apple ID.

I only have one other email address and the interface won't let me use that for my new Apple ID.

Do I need to create a new email address elsewhere so I have one for ID and another for contact?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Aug 29, 2023 11:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 4:05 AM

Here's how you change the email address (Apple ID) you use for your Apple Account while retaining everything in your account:

1. Go to https://appleid.apple.com and sign in.

2. In the Sign-In and Security section, choose Apple ID.

3. Enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID.

4. Choose Change Apple ID.

5. If you changed your Apple ID to a third-party email address, check your old ID email for a verification code, then enter the code. Learn what to do if you didn't get the email. --> If you didn't receive your verification or reset email - Apple Support

6. If you use services like iCloud or Messages to share with friends and colleagues, sign in to those services with your updated Apple ID. --> What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

For more details, read the document: "Change your Apple ID" --> Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

You say that " the interface won't let me use that for my new Apple ID."

- There's special instructions if you want to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com address.

"If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later."

Unfortunately Apple does not have a clear position statement about when you can re-use an email address you have used with Apple before.

"If you see a message that the email address you want to use isn't available or is already in use, check that you or a family member aren't already using that email address with a different Apple ID. If a family member is using that email address, remove it from their account then try to use it."

Although this next section discusses email address re-use in the context of deleting an account, it supports observations frequently posted on this forum about not being able to re-use an email address as an Apple ID once used previously as an Apple ID:

From: How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

"Can I use the primary email address for my deleted Apple ID account to create a new Apple ID or with another existing Apple ID account?

No, once your Apple ID is deleted, you can't use the email address that you used with it to create a new Apple ID. In addition, you can't use that email address with another existing Apple ID except as a rescue [notification] email. Also, if your primary Apple ID email address is with a Custom Email Domain, it can never be reused to create an Apple ID after your Apple ID is deleted, even if the domain ownership changes."

And a related article about using iCloud email aliases - Add and manage email aliases for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support - "Note: You can’t delete or turn off a primary iCloud Mail address. You can’t use an alias to create a separate Apple ID, and an email alias can’t be converted to a primary iCloud Mail address."

If you still have questions or problems:

Refer to this document for ways to contact Apple --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support

Select your country (also look for "other" regions), then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2023 4:05 AM in response to Starchie_Spudnoggen

Here's how you change the email address (Apple ID) you use for your Apple Account while retaining everything in your account:

1. Go to https://appleid.apple.com and sign in.

2. In the Sign-In and Security section, choose Apple ID.

3. Enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID.

4. Choose Change Apple ID.

5. If you changed your Apple ID to a third-party email address, check your old ID email for a verification code, then enter the code. Learn what to do if you didn't get the email. --> If you didn't receive your verification or reset email - Apple Support

6. If you use services like iCloud or Messages to share with friends and colleagues, sign in to those services with your updated Apple ID. --> What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

For more details, read the document: "Change your Apple ID" --> Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

You say that " the interface won't let me use that for my new Apple ID."

- There's special instructions if you want to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com address.

"If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later."

Unfortunately Apple does not have a clear position statement about when you can re-use an email address you have used with Apple before.

"If you see a message that the email address you want to use isn't available or is already in use, check that you or a family member aren't already using that email address with a different Apple ID. If a family member is using that email address, remove it from their account then try to use it."

Although this next section discusses email address re-use in the context of deleting an account, it supports observations frequently posted on this forum about not being able to re-use an email address as an Apple ID once used previously as an Apple ID:

From: How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

"Can I use the primary email address for my deleted Apple ID account to create a new Apple ID or with another existing Apple ID account?

No, once your Apple ID is deleted, you can't use the email address that you used with it to create a new Apple ID. In addition, you can't use that email address with another existing Apple ID except as a rescue [notification] email. Also, if your primary Apple ID email address is with a Custom Email Domain, it can never be reused to create an Apple ID after your Apple ID is deleted, even if the domain ownership changes."

And a related article about using iCloud email aliases - Add and manage email aliases for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support - "Note: You can’t delete or turn off a primary iCloud Mail address. You can’t use an alias to create a separate Apple ID, and an email alias can’t be converted to a primary iCloud Mail address."

If you still have questions or problems:

Refer to this document for ways to contact Apple --> Choose your country or region - Official Apple Support

Select your country (also look for "other" regions), then a product. If you don't see one that handles your issue then keep experimenting with selections until you reach one that gets you a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

or:

Contact Apple for support and service by telephone --> Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Aug 30, 2023 12:04 AM in response to Starchie_Spudnoggen

I will soon lose access to the email address I use as my Apple ID.

Why . . ., can you explain?

Your Apple ID is the personal account you use with all Apple products and services. It includes the email address and password you use to sign in, as well as the contact, payment, and security details that you use with Apple.

You can’t merge multiple Apple ID accounts.

What happens when you use the same Apple ID & Password that you use to sign in here?

See the following Apple articles

Sign in with your Apple ID -> Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Manage and use your Apple ID -> Manage and use your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

Losing access to my Apple ID email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.