iphone 14 ios 16 can't change msg sending photo as heic - after switching camera format setting to 'most compatible' and taking as jpeg

iphone 14 ios 16 can't change msg sending (using messages) photo as heic - after switching camera format setting to 'most compatible' and taking as jpeg (photo info says 'JPEG')

they send as HEIC - (which friends running mac os cannot easily paste as jpegs)

tried 'low res' sending images as option in messages, no help

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2023 9:31 PM

chrismoz Said:

"iphone 14 ios 16 can't change msg sending photo as heic - after switching camera format setting to 'most compatible' and taking as jpeg: the Apple decision to preference HEIC as a storage method with its proprietary sharing issues - without clear and easy user control of that choice - is emblematic of the company's perception of its customers place I think"

-------

Create Duplicates, then Rename Them:

Then duplicate these on your Mac, and retitle each by changing the duplicate's extension to JPEG. For those without Windows 11, they just wont be able to view them. By creating duplicates, the original file will not be affected by the change.

Recommend to Apple that they Make the Change:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback of this issue. Include how you’ve troubleshot this, and your results. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what suits their customer prefer, and what to include in macOS versions to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Performance" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Applications/Utilities" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: That you want this option to go away. Include the URL of this thread.
  5. Proceed from there as necessary
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2023 9:31 PM in response to chrismoz

chrismoz Said:

"iphone 14 ios 16 can't change msg sending photo as heic - after switching camera format setting to 'most compatible' and taking as jpeg: the Apple decision to preference HEIC as a storage method with its proprietary sharing issues - without clear and easy user control of that choice - is emblematic of the company's perception of its customers place I think"

-------

Create Duplicates, then Rename Them:

Then duplicate these on your Mac, and retitle each by changing the duplicate's extension to JPEG. For those without Windows 11, they just wont be able to view them. By creating duplicates, the original file will not be affected by the change.

Recommend to Apple that they Make the Change:

Do your Part: Inform Apple of your feedback of this issue. Include how you’ve troubleshot this, and your results. Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive from its users, the more likely they will know what suits their customer prefer, and what to include in macOS versions to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Performance" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Applications/Utilities" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: That you want this option to go away. Include the URL of this thread.
  5. Proceed from there as necessary

Aug 30, 2023 8:40 PM in response to chrismoz

chrismoz Said:

"I just did that and the messages app on the phone (I assume)converted it to 'HEIC' before sending it (I used an old photo taken 6 years before and was saved as jpeg which I checked) and it was received as HEIC"

-------

Try Compress, then Send:

Get these Photos on your Mac, and then compress them. Cnce compressed, send them that way. When received, have the other users decompress them. Recommend that the duplicate the files, by save it twice, and changing the extension.

Aug 30, 2023 6:12 PM in response to chrismoz

chrismoz Said:

"iphone 14 ios 16 can't change msg sending photo as heic - after switching camera format setting to 'most compatible' and taking as jpeg"

-------

JPEG is Windows and Mac:

High Efficiency Image File (HEIF) Is made for Windows 11 user. However, I'm sure many Windows users aren't up-to-date with the latest operating system. So, the creation of JPEG filetype is most wise.

Aug 30, 2023 7:04 PM in response to TheLittles

Yes. Correct. The issue I'm having is that I photograph a document and message it to my office, having turned 'live' off and the image says when I check on my phone file it is a 'jpeg' on my iphone, but when I message it to my office they receive it as a HEIC file and then cant just drop it into a filemaker image container, or other file storage programs as HEIC does not work with those file systems - and while I can convert the image using Preview to save as pdf, they are unable to using their Preview on the HEIC files - curious -

Aug 30, 2023 7:20 PM in response to chrismoz

chrismoz Said:

"[...]while I can convert the image using Preview to save as pdf, they are unable to using their Preview on the HEIC files - curious -"

-------

Getting the Correct Format:

Change the filetype on your end, and then send it to them in the correct format. Printing a screenshot might be the best route --you'd have to create it one at a time.

iphone 14 ios 16 can't change msg sending photo as heic - after switching camera format setting to 'most compatible' and taking as jpeg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.